Dec 10, 2008

Cleaning Recipes

I haven't bought commercial cleaners in years. Well, mostly. I still use dishwasher detergent. I tried the natural recipes and my dishwasher HATED them. I tried three times, then I just conceded to the dishwasher. I don't want to hurt the feelings of my maid, do I?

Other things, however, are cheaper and WAY better for you to use.

Here are my favorites:

Sink cleanser: (I have all porcelain sinks) Baking Soda

Window Cleaner:

1/4 Cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspooon liquid hand soap
1 3/4 Cup water
5-8 drops of essential oil (I use lavendar most of the time, but tangerine and peppermint are nice, too)

Put in spray bottle. Put one in each bathroom and in the kitchen.

(I found this note online and thought I'd include it here--just in case it's true: I recently bought new windows for my home and was warned not use ammonia or vinegar or I would be removing the energy efficient UV properties of the the glass.)

Disinfectant Cleaner:

8 ounces of water
25 drops of lemon essential oil (Smells GREAT!)

Put in spray bottle.

Floor Cleaner:

1/2 Cup vinegar
1 gallon hot water
Several drops of any essential oil

Mix in mop bucket.

Furniture Polish:

1 Cup mineral oil (food grade, available in drugstores)

20 drops lemon essential oil

Mix and pour into container. Apply to rag and rub into wood after dusting. Mineral oil does not go rancid like vegetable oils do. You CAN use vegetable oil in this recipe, but you'll need to make a fresh batch for each polishing time. (I've used olive oil as well.)

NOTE: Use a small amount and rub and buff thoroughly. I used too much and didn't buff enough on one table and it was "tacky" feeling. I took a clean cloth and rubbed it in completely and it was fine.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these recipes and I saved a copy to my files if that is alright. What a great idea!

Roxanne said...

Sure, copy away!

Soooo...are ya gonna take my spring clean challenge? Use those handy, dandy cleaner recipes?

I promise to cheer you on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails