Sep 6, 2011

Pie of the Month Club

A while back I did a post about men and their preference for all things pie. (Click HERE to read.) My husband fits that profile 100%. I've known that for decades, but recently I found out that I did not know the full-extent of that pie love.

A month ago we had a thing at the church and I volunteered to make an apple pie. My husband teasingly said something along the lines of my making pies for OTHER people, but not for him. I countered with the fact that I had made one for him about six months ago. He nodded but I could tell there was more. I said, "Exactly how OFTEN should I make a pie so that you feel that your pie needs are met?" "Once a month" was the answer. Twenty-six years of marriage and I thought I was providing all the pies that were desired. There's always something new to learn about one another in a relationship.

A few days later I quizzed him on his choices and our own personal "Pie of the Month" club was formed. I plan to use my vintage cookbooks and use seasonal foods (fresh when possible) to bring pie bliss to my husband's palate. This is his list of requests beginning September 2011:

September: Raspberry (recipe below)
October: Superb Cheese-Apple
November: Southern Sweet Potato
December: Cranberry
January: Custard
February: Chocolate Cream
March: Banana Cream
April: Black Bottom
May: Lemon Meringue
June: Strawberry Glace
July: Strawberry Rhubarb
August: Coconut Cream

The man wants pie?  The man will HAVE PIE! (Are you craving pie, yet?)

September's flavor is Raspberry. Below is the recipe I will be using. My husband prefers LESS sweet to more (another reason why he's thin and in shape) so I will use the smallest amount of sugar called for. It comes from my 1956 edition of Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book. It has pictures! For people who struggle to cook well, pictures are very, very nice.

Fresh Raspberry Pie

1 go 1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups fresh berries (We're picking them tomorrow!)
1 1/2 tbsp. butter

Make pastry for two-crust pie for 9" pie pan.
Mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon together. Lightly mix through the berries. Pour berries into the pastry-lined pie pan and dot with the butter. Cover with top crust which has slits cut in it. Bake until crust is nicely browned (425 degrees) and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. (About 35-45 minutes.)

Here's what I hope mine will look like when it's finished:


Next month's selection will be Apple, picked right off the trees. Stay tuned.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, what a great idea! Men love pie; women prefer cake. Did you know that?

Packrat said...

No peach pie? No lemon meringue? Heaven forbid! LOL Great idea. My husband would want pecan pie every month.

Roxanne said...

RetroRocketGal--You know what I'm talkin' about! I wonder why that is?

Roxanne said...

Packrat--The lemon meringue actually did make the list, but here's the reasoning on the peach not making the cut: We don't grow peaches up here and he wants only fresh. Fresh is the key for him. No berry pies from frozen berries either, even if they were picked fresh and then frozen.

What can I say--he's a pie snob. But, he's my pie snob so I'll work with him LOL!

I brought up pecan pie and he gave it consideration. That may make it onto next year's list when he sees that I'll actually come through with this whole promise.

I have to prove that it's no "pie in the sky" scheme.

(Thank you, thank you. I've got a million of 'em.)

Paula said...

I had to laugh when I read this post. My husband only eats pie if we have company over (to look good). He won't eat pie if he can avoid it. Now, chocolate cake on the other hand - I make that at least twice a month :)

FarmMom said...

I love this idea! Biscuit has decided that she will follow your lead and do the same thing. I will post her list for you soon. One pie that will make the list is Tomato Pie from the Hannaford "Fresh" magazine. It is more of a dinner pie instead of dessert. Biscuit has a REALLY yummy pie crust recipe that actually turned me on to liking pie. I never did before two summers ago when she made strawberry rhubarb for the first time. In fact, she even blogged about it! Again you have inspired the FarmMom Family! You are my HERO!

K Quinn said...

Oh that looks good! Yeah my husband has a thing for pie too. I won't tell you how many I have made this summer as it will reveal why I'm having a bit of trouble losing weight. Like RetroRocketGal I have a thing for cake too. Once my husband leaned over and took a bit of my cake...can you say seeing red?!
Right now I have a ground cherry, marionberry pie in the freezer. The ground cherries were home grown and the marion berries were picked at the farm up the street. I have no idea whatsoever what it will taste like and I'm a little nervous.

Roxanne said...

Paula--With all those other men eating pies, that leaves lots of cake for the cake-lovers! I think cakes are more fun to make than pies, but it's just not to be in my household.

Roxanne said...

FarmMom--Has Biscuit listed her pie plans yet? I didn't have internet for most of our vacation so I haven't checked yet.

NOW since going to Wmsburg, DH is wanting "savory" pies as well. The Tomato Pie might be an option. Has she posted that recipe yet?

(Off to check instead of asking so many questions!)

Roxanne said...

KQuinn--Did you husband actually get the bite of cake all the way in his mouth? Was it chocolate? Isn't that a felony or something, taking a bite of the wife's cake?

I've never heard of Marionberry. Is that something local to your region?

Robert and Courtney said...

This is such a clever idea. I might have to steal it for my family too.

Roxanne said...

Courtney--My husband is loving this whole thing. I've been pretty meh up until January. We're having a custard pie and I'm really looking forward to this one!

I never realized how easy of a dessert pie is until now. Crusts can be done ahead (or bought ready-made) and the filling takes very little time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails