Oct 8, 2011

Pie of the Month Club: Superb Cheese-Apple Pie

Have I got a pie for you! I made this once before (but I can't find that I blogged about it). It came from my Gem of a Cookbook and it was absolutely divine!

I never understood the whole cheese-with-pie phenomenon that I encountered when I moved Up North until I tasted this recipe. It just does something magical to the whole flavor. This will be October's offering.

Superb Cheese-Apple Pie

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 C grated cheese (I used cheddar)
5 C prepared apples
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 T heavy cream

Start heating oven to 425. Place a crust in the bottom of a 9" pan.

For the filling: Combine sugar, flour, salt, 2/3 C cheese; sprinkle lined pie plate with half of mixture. Heap apples on top; sprinkle with lemon juice, rest of sugar mixture, then remaining 1/3 cup cheese and cream. Adjust top crust.

Bake at 425 40-50 minutes, or until filling is tender, crust nicely browned. Especially nice served warm.

The apples are coming from a bushel that my husband brought home from a neighbor's trees. They're a mix of sweet and tart apples. Since I will be using about 6-8 apples for the pie, the rest of the bushel are awaiting their purpose in becoming apple sauce, apple juice, and a bit of apple butter, if I'm up to it!

Tomorrow afternoon will see my kitchen in full-production mode. Since it's Sunday, I'll have to fend off more than one set of fingers attempting to taste everything! My son will have to share his usual solitary position with my husband. Seniority may reign, but my husband IS a generous man.

1 comments:

Packrat said...

This sounds delicious. Sharp cheddar and apples, yummm. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails