Aug 22, 2010

The (almost) Perpetually Clean Frig

When I'm on top of things, the frig gets cleaned out once a week--right before grocery day. When I'm not on top of things (more often than not), it's more like 3-4 weeks before it truly gets cleaned out. That's way better than it used to be, which was about every 1-3 MONTHS.


Now, I'm all about taking large tasks and breaking them down into small ones. Maintenance is far easier than the Big Clean. Small amounts of time spent regularly cleaning are more pleasant than "digging out" (of which I have much experience). Why I never thought to apply this concept to the frig is beyond me, but that hole in my existence has now been remedied. I looked in my frig tonight (that needs cleaning) and realized something. In fact, it was an epiphany.

I have a way to keep the frig (almost) PERPETUALLY CLEAN!

Here's the idea (are you ready?): Divide your refrigerator into "zones!"

What I saw when I looked in the frig tonight was that it has five areas--Top shelf, Middle shelf, Bottom shelf, Drawer, and Door. I quickly assigned each area a day (during the week--I take the weekends off) and will clean that area, or zone if you will, on its assigned day.

Genius. Pure genius.

Okay, I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, so I guess it's actually someone else's genius. The important thing is that I have finally put two and two together and I've come up with CLEAN!

3 comments:

K Quinn said...

I'm terrible about cleaning the fridge and usually have end up having to crisis clean it. It's due for a cleaning and so is our freezer. Something spilled in there and I'm being lazy about it. Aaargh! Maybe after this post I'll get to it today. Sigh!

Roxanne said...

We're half-way through today's "Brawn Week" tasks. I did the entire frig, but will DEFINITELY be implementing my one-zone-per-weekday plan. I'm practically giddy about it.

I need to get out more.

Packrat said...

Wow, genius. I always wait until the whole thing is a science project gone wrong.

Related Posts with Thumbnails