Dec 24, 2011

Pie of the Month Club: Cranberry Pie

Source for Pic
This month's pie will be Cranberry Pie.  The pie pictured is not my pie--it's a stunt double for the pie I WILL be making. I've linked the picture to its source, but I'm not using their recipe. Instead I will be using one from my 1956 edition of Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book. I plan to make it on Saturday and we will include it with our Christmas meal since it's red and all. (We also plan to make a Key Lime pie, so we'll have red AND green!)

Cranberry Pie (from down Cape Cod way)

Mix in saucepan:
1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar (I'm going to go for the full 2 cups.  They are, after all, cranberries.)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Add:
3 cups halved cranberries
1/2 cup water

Bring slowly to a boil, and boil gently 5 minutes, stirring constantly. 

Remove from heat and blend in:
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring.

Pour into pastry-lined pie pan.  Cover with top crust which has slits cut in it.  (The picture above shows a center hole.  That's kind of cool.  I may do that.)  Bake until crust is nicely browned.  Serve slightly warm.

Temperature: 425 degrees
Time: Bake 30 to 40 minutes.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, that sounds good!!!

Packrat said...

Thanks you! Merry Christmas!

Roxanne said...

Mary--It IS good! I made it yesterday (Christmas Eve) and the filling was so awesome. So far my husband has tried a piece today, but I'm too full at this point...

Related Posts with Thumbnails