Nov 8, 2011

Pie of the Month Club: Southern Sweet Potato Pie

This month's recipe is from this 1956 PICTURE cook book. I like this book. It has pictures!  It also lays things out step-by-step with a starter recipe followed by many variations. 
This pie is a good example. I haven't made it yet (today, perhaps?), but the "starter recipe" is for Pumpkin Pie. Beneath that are four variations:

1) New England Squash Pie
2) Southern Sweet Potato or Yam Pie (Yam. Makes me laugh every time I say it.)
3) Autumn Pumpkin Pie
4) Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream

You just follow the original recipe and make the changes according to the chosen variation.

As my husband chose the Sweet Potato version, I will list that recipe. (Once I've made it I'll come back with a taste report.)

Southern Sweet Potato Pie


1 3/4 cups strained mashed cooked sweet potatoes (I'm going to use canned)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 T butter, melted
Single crust for 9" pie

Preheat oven to 425. Beat ingredients together with rotary beater and pour into pastry-lined pan. (Tip from book: "For crispness, have bottom pastry a little thicker than 1/8".)

Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a silver knife (Oh No! I have the fake stuff from Costco!) inserted 1" from side of filling comes out clean. The center may still look soft but will set later. Serve slightly warm or cold.

Next Month is Cranberry!

2 comments:

Packrat said...

Sounds delicious. Definitely want to hear how it turns out.

Roxanne said...

Well, I made it this morning for my dh's birthday. He said it tasted really good, but I didn't strain it quite enough (canned), so it was a tiny bit watery.

Live and learn!

Related Posts with Thumbnails