Feb 9, 2012

Pie of the Month Club: Chocolate Cream

Source
Figures we'd hit all the cream pies (my favorites) when I'm trying to be good about my diet!  I will have a bite, but the rest will have to be taken care of by the men in my family.  I guess they're up for the job!

This pie is from my 1955 Good Housekeeping Cook Book.  It is NOT a mousse-type pie, but rather dense and pudding-like.  The source for the picture had a recipe that was similar, but the one I'm using has less sugar.  Here's the recipe:





Chocolate Cream Pie

Baked 9" pie shell
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 to 2/12 squares unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In double boiler, combine 1/4 cup sugar, chocolate, flour, and salt.  When chocolate is melted, beat with egg beater until smooth.  Gradually stir in milk.  Cook, stirring until thick.  Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 10 min. longer.  Beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar; stir in a little sauce; add to rest of sauce in double boiler.  Cook, stirring, 2 min., or until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon.  add butter, vanilla; cool.  Start heating oven to 350.  Turn filling into shell.  Bake 12 to 15 min.

Top with 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped; sprinkle with shaved chocolate.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails