Dec 11, 2008

My Laundry Detergent Recipe

I got this from a couple of places, originally, but I streamlined it after several batches.

I prefer the liquid. There are recipes for dry laundry detergent, too. The following recipe fills five empty jugs. I prefer to use recycled detergent jugs because the cap measures the perfect amount and it has that special "neck" to direct the liquid back into the jug from the replaced cap.


The Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 Cup grated soap (I use Ivory 'cause it's cheap!)
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing SODA

(NOTES: I shred the entire bar of soap using my grater and store in a jar. I premix the washing soda and borax so that I don't have to do it each time. Mix them half and half and then just scoop out 2 cups of the mix.)

Directions:

  1. Place 3/4 C of grated soap into large pot big enough to hold four gallons of liquid.
  2. Add 12 cups of hot water to pot to dissolve soap and put on stove using medium heat.
  3. After soap is dissolved, add borax/soda mix. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
  4. Add 8 more cups of hot water (to make sure everything is GOOD and dissolved!).
  5. Add 2 gallons plus 12 cups of cold water. Stir.
  6. Cover and let sit 24 hours to "gel." It will have the consistency of egg white mixed in water.
  7. Use 1/2 Cup per washload. That is the size of the cap on the recycled detergent jugs. Measure yours, just in case.
I find that it cleans our clothes very well. We don't have any grease/oil situations. I also cannot stand the smell of commercial detergents. This is gentle on the skin and leaves no scent. Just "clean."

1 comments:

daphne said...

thanks fro sharing, Ir really need this:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails