Jan 18, 2009

Week Five: Monday (Day 21)

Today I am going to make Homemade Pasta using a recipe that a real Italian lady gave me. She even invited me over to watch and help her make it. Thank you, Guilia!

I chose this because I was lamenting that I had not stocked up on dried pasta before I began this experiment. Then, revelation hit. Pasta is made from flour and eggs. My brain began to churn. Soon the thought came: I. Have. Flour. And. Eggs.

Cool.

The Recipes

Homemade Pasta

2 ¼ C flour
3 eggs
(You can stop at the above OR you can add things. See list below.)

  • Make well in center of flour and add eggs.
  • Incorporate with fork about half way and then begin to knead.
  • Push in finger. Should come back up slightly sticky.
  • Cut in half and flatten. Knead in a little more flour.
  • Fold in half and put through machine at widest setting.
  • Dust with flour each time and put through 3-4 times more.
  • Begin to reduce setting up to #5, dusting each time.
  • Let dry for a few minutes. Repeat with other half.
  • Bring water to a boil
  • Carefully drop in pasta.
  • Cook al dente--it won't take long at all since it's fresh.

Alfredo Sauce

1 stick butter

1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups whole milk (cream is better)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup cheese (mozzarella is best)

  • Melt butter.
  • Gradually stir in flour to make roux.
  • Add milk and stir constantly until smooth.
  • Boil one minute. It should begin to thicken.
  • Add the garlic powder and white pepper.
  • Remove from heat and stir in cheese until smooth.
  • Salt to taste.

LIST OF ADDITIONS for the pasta:

  • 1-2 T of tomato paste
  • 1-2 T of cooked, well-squeezed-out spinach
  • Cracked Pepper
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • Cayenne
  • Lemon Pepper
  • Any other spice--just adjust according to heat level desired!

The Verdict:

Me: Delicious!

Hubby: I've actually missed pasta. We used to have it TOO much. This was great.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Must say I love the new colors of the site! Very appropriate for spring time!

Roxanne said...

Thanks! I'm attempting to counteract the fact that the thermometer registered NEGATIVE 15 last Thursday.

I needed some sunshine!

Roxanne

50sgal said...

I thought I would comment here, in case you didn't return to the post at Destination 1940 concerning my error in eating grits. You do have to forgive a New England girl.

I guess as an New Englander, the right them to do with any unknown breakfast item is to drown it in sirop and brown sugar. When the hubby and I were in Savannah GA a few years back (we were actually looking to buy a house there) we encountered grits for the first time. They were cheese grits and when I mentioned I had bought grits, his first response was, "Mmm cheese grits" I guess it is how they eat it there. They were wonderful.

Roxanne said...

I DID see your comment (and you are forgiven) and I replied with the following:

QUOTE:

I feel a tutorial wanting to appear on my blog. I already have a post about sweet tea......

*Ahem* (tap, tap, tap)

Grits.

Some love them, some hate them. Some treat them as a cereal--which is fine and dandy.

But, oh, the ultimate level of delectability can be reached only through the addition of dairy products (eg butter or cheese).

Maybe some poetry about grits will be included in my tutorial...

OK--back to reality. The key to smooth grits is to add them to BOILING water in a steady stream wisking the heck out of them to keep the clumps from forming.

A note: Make enough for JUST that breakfast. Leftover grits are not worth the effort. They turn into a rubbery substance that's a little disturbing to look at.

No one wants to see that.

Roxanne

Amy said...

hey Roxanne, thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails