Aug 4, 2009

24 years ago today...

1985, to be exact. My husband and I got married.

My husband and I met when we were 16 years old (1981). He was my first REAL date. The other few boys were my "boyfriends" at school where you said, "Do you want to go together?"

We had no AC in central Florida, so I stood over the oscillating fan to keep myself reasonably unsweaty (in October) while I waited for him to arrive. He was late. I forgave the lateness 'cause he was driving a little blue Celica...with air conditioning!

I was dressed in tight, dark straight-legged jeans, a peach peasant blouse and black fabric Mary Jane type shoes that I (much to my PT correctness chagrin now), called "Chinker Shoes." Forgive me.

We went to the mall (it was new) and saw "My Bodyguard." We then went shopping for a birthday present for my mom whose birthday was the following day. He took me home, we did a little smooching, and the rest is history.

We were in college (in Massachusetts) when we decided to get married. Are you ready for our big romantic reason? it would be cheaper to live together in the married dorms than paying for two separate dorm rooms. Oh, and we loved each other.

He proposed officially on Clearwater Beach in January (Christmas break from college). Sitting on the beach blanket with white powdery sand surrounding us, the waves lapping away, the temperature a perfect 72 degrees, he popped the question. I said......yes!

24 years ago.

Twenty-Four.

Those years have been the best of my life. I look forward to even better ones as we begin our 25th year!




11 comments:

chocolate and whine said...

That's adorable! Congratulations!

Mary said...

So cute! Such a good reason to get married! Ha-ha. Good thing you loved each other too. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! Happy Anniversary :)

Jitterbug said...

What a wonderful story... You look so much younger than most of the brides and grooms I see today! Happy Anniversary!!!

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Almost a quarter of century! But in a good way! I met my hubby in 1988 though we didn't marry until '96. It just gets better and better, doesn't it?

Roxanne said...

Thanks for all the congratulations! Yes, almost a quarter of a century. Oh my. That is sobering!

And yes...we WERE young! We were 21 when we got married. We thought we were so mature. But, we knew we made the right decision then and we still know it today--all these years later.

He still needs a little work, but I've achieved perfection...HA!

Martha said...

Happy Anniversary. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. :)

Blessings,
~Martie

Packrat said...

What a beautiful couple you make! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely couple you make! How sweet :)

Trixie

Unknown said...

You two were a good looking couple! You had the same hairstyle as I did when my husband and I married in 1985.

:-)Marion

Unknown said...

Not 1985--I meant my marriage in 1988. Talking to a kid and leaving a comment at the same time never works quite right for me. :D Marion

Related Posts with Thumbnails