Jul 25, 2011

Vintage Thirst Quenchers

Is it hot enough for you? (Insert annoying laugh track.)

Actually, today has been in the 70s after a week of nearly 100. I kind of loved it during the hot days, though, knowing that it wouldn't last too long here "up north." (I know what's waiting for me in just a few short months!)

It was FINALLY Official Pool Weather to this Florida native, but I am glad that we're not set on Scorch any longer.

Other parts of the country, however, are definitely still at that level. Since that is the case, I thought I'd look through my old magazines to see how those folks cooled off in pre-air conditioning times. I found some recipes for "Coolers" in my July, 1946 issue of Woman's Day. We still have some hot days in our future before the leaves begin to turn, so I plan on trying a couple of these recipes. Each recipe makes one serving.


(The pictures are from THIS Etsy shop. The lemon glasses have already sold, but the other sets are still available as of this posting. Click on the picture for each sale page.)




Minted Pink Pineapple Crush

1/4 cup crushed pineapple, fresh or canned
1/2 cup loganberry juice
1-2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
Plain or sparkling water

Mix pineapple, loganberry juice, and chopped mint. Serve over cracked ice in glass, adding plain or sparkling water to fill glass.





Apple-Prune-Orangeade

1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup prune juice
1/3 cup orange juice
Mint

Blend juices. Pour over cracked ice in glass. Serve topped with fresh mint.



Cool Buttermilk Fizz

1/2 cup buttermilk
Sparkling water

Pour buttermilk over cracked ice in glass. Fill remainder of glass with sparkling water. Stir well and serve.



Ginger Iced Tea (3 servings)

2 cups chilled tea
1 cup gingerale

Add gingerale just before serving.


Stay cool!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm pretty sure that my aunties had glasses like that because they seem familiar. I had another aunt with Welches jelly jar glasses, with cartoon characters that I really enjoyed. These recipes sure have a few strange ingredients that people hardly use anymore. Very interesting.

:-) Marion

Roxanne said...

Marion--Those glasses are awesome, aren't they? I think our set had pink and black Parisian scenes. My mom got them at the gas station, building the set (and the metal carrier) with each fill up.

Now they make us pump our own gas, pay with an arm AND a leg, and we get bupkis!

I digress.


Yes, the 50s tastebuds were definitely different what with prune juice, buttermilk, liver, and SPAM consumed on a regular basis.

My dh and ds love prune juice and buttermilk. Me? Not so much... I made the 3 juice cooler (with the prune juice) to go with supper tonight. Dh said less OJ and more apple along with the seltzer was very refreshing.

K Quinn said...

That Ginger Iced Tea sounds good. Those are cute glasses! I'm going to have to try some of those drinks. Thanks!

Roxanne said...

K Quinn--We've tried the Apple--Prune--Orangeade and the Buttermilk Fizz. The fruit with the selzer was really nice and we've been adding selzer to all sorts of drinks since I posted that.

Buttermilk is NOT my thing and my dh was less than enthused with the added carbonation. DS, however, will drink anything that isn't water. He thinks it's a treat because it's not water. Silly boy.

I'm such a diehard Southern Sweet Tea drinker that I haven't done the ginger tea one yet. I'm going to soon, though, as I know my ds and dh will both enjoy it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails