Jan 27, 2012

I love my vintage cook book collection. It's small, but it's growing! Today's featured book was given to me by a friend. (Waves to FarmMom!  Email some time!) My copy is the 8th printing which was done in 1956. The first printing was from 1938.

The book was put out by the Atlanta Gas Light Co., Home Service Department. The first page assures me that "It's Fun to Cook!" That would be because they are going to show me how to use my new gas range. They are especially proud of its ability to broil foods as there is an extensive amount of recipes for broiling everything, including dessert.

Today's featured recipe is for Broiled Meatloaf. I don't make meatloaf very often because of the long baking time, so this time-shortened version intrigues me. I will be testing this as soon as ground beef quits pretending it should cost as much as steak. I hope that's soon!


Broiled Meat Loaf

1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup crushed cereal crumbs (What kind of cereal?)
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped onion

Mix all ingredients together and divide in half on waxed paper. Shape into two firm loaves. Arrange on cold broiler grill 6 inches from flame. Broil 15 minutes, turn, and broil another 10 minutes or until meat is done. Barbecue sauce can be brushed over loaves or served with them. Strips of bacon can be placed over loaves just before they are done and broiled until they are crisp. (Yum!)

6 servings

2 comments:

FarmMom said...

Waving Back!! I have been missing you all so much lately - You have been on my mind a lot. Glad you like the cookbook. I will email you a proper letter soon {Smile and Hugs}

Roxanne said...

FarmMom--Hi!! I'm looking forward to getting your email and catching up.

BTW, whenever you think you might be heading our way, my sister has ROOM now to put folks up! They moved into their new house on December 30th and it has LOTS of room.

Related Posts with Thumbnails