Jul 14, 2009

Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1955

I have this cookbook on the desk next to me and I am surrounded by fumes. Mothball fumes.

I remember when I was very little (early 60s) that our across-the-street neighbor's house always reeked of moth balls. They were from "Up North" somewhere. We lived in South Florida. There was nothing for the moths to eat! (Don't worry--we had plenty of other worrisome insects to keep us busy.)

Aside from the odor accosting my nose, I have to report about a GEM that I picked up last week. I actually found several books (see THIS post), but this cookbook has quickly become my favorite. (Sheesh--does anyone know how to get rid of this smell?)

I'm going to do a series of posts on several sections of the book that might prove interesting and useful to others. I'm finding them to be so for myself.

It has the usual categories one would find in any cookbook. This one, however, is like the KING of cookbooks. The chapters I want to share have the following titles:

  • Leftovers
  • Thrifty Meals
  • Box Lunches
  • Your Weight
  • Planning Meals
  • Serving the Meals
  • Your Kitchen

Just to give you a sample of what I'm so excited about, look at this entry under "Planning Meals:"

Sunday--Dad's Favorite
Pan-fried Smoked Boneless Shoulder
Golden Cauliflower
Green-Lima and Apple Salad
Whole-wheat Bread
Fresh Strawberry Tapioca
Gingersnaps
Milk

Early in day or day before: Make tapioca. Simmer shoulder as directed. Refrigerate all.

About 30 min. before dinner:
Break cauliflower into flowerets; cook as on p. 280. For salad, toss together 1 drained 10 1/2 oz. can green limas, 1 or 2 cubed unpared red apples, and 1/4 cup French dressing; chill. Fold cream into tapioca. Saute sliced shoulder; remove to heated platter; keep warm. Drain cauliflower; place in same skillet; toss gently over heat until lightly browned.

Do you see what it is that has me intrigued? Directions on preparation TIMING!

Stay tuned for the first post in the "Gem of a Cookbook" series. (I love making up titles.) Click on the book cover above for the posts about it.

(Seriously--what DO I do about this wafting odor??)

5 comments:

Packrat said...

Somebody I know has this cookbook. It might be me! (Tells you how often I look at a cookbook. I'm not at home so I can't go look.) Anyway, I love cookbooks from my childhood. Ahhh.

Grandma hung clothes out on the line to get rid of the mothball smell. So, try airing it out. I even asked my mom, and she had no other ideas.

Packrat said...

It's now Friday! I was home for a few minutes today, so I ran in the back room to look at my cookbooks. "Yep", I have this one. It is one of my most recent cookbook purchases. There is this fantastic funky used book store about 10 minutes from my daughter's house...

Roxanne said...

Packrat--I wanted to leave my book outside to "air out" but it's been raining too much. I think fresh air and sunshine might be the only way to subdue it!

You have it! Cool! Look through the chapter titles I listed and tell me it isn't totally cool! Too bad they don't write meal plans like that anymore.

Anonymous said...

I love cookbooks!! I don't have this one but I do have the 1950 Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book. These oldies are the best ones I think.

Airing is the only thing I know to do as well to get rid of that smell.

Roxanne said...

Jeannie--I have never been an appreciator of cookbooks. I would cook according to the recipe and then it would never come out very well. I liked the ones with pictures because I could at least SEE what I was hoping to attain!

With this cookbook, however, I seem to be turning a corner. It seems to encompass more than mere recipes. It could prove to be a catalyst in making me LIKE to cook...

Related Posts with Thumbnails