Jan 31, 2012

Vintage Hygiene: Hair

This is the third post in my Vintage Hygiene series. (Click HERE for the first post and HERE for the second.)

Hair care has changed so much in just my lifetime. When I was born, the popular styles involved lots of teasing and hairspray.  A woman always had a "standing" appointment with the hairdresser who would shampoo and set the hair for the rest of the week. I remember my mother doing that and sleeping on a satin pillowcase to keep the style intact. 

When I was a kid/preteen, the styles changed to parted in the middle and straight. That worked out well for me! There was ONE perm situation when I was in 7th grade that I'd just as soon forget, though. My mother hated my "long, stringy hair" as she so nicely put it.  The humiliation I endured in my homeroom class the next day is with me to this day.  I thought I was off perms forever after that.

THEN came the 80s and early 90s--the era of serious perm-dom. I embraced the perm again, for several years.  About 15 years ago I got tired of all the fuss and went back to my naturally straight hair. I cut my own hair and I make it look as decent as I can, but I'm starting to get bored with it.

A year or so ago, I started reminiscing about how women used to work on their hair to try to achieve a certain style. I came across a blog called Bobby Pin Blog where a wonderful lady named Lauren specializes in vintage hairstyles. She even wrote a book (click the source link to see the information):

Source

I've owned that book for a while now. Every few months I get out my hot curlers and attempt one of the hairstyles. So far they haven't come out quite as they should, but it's fun to try.

Speaking of hot curlers, Lauren found a set on Ebay back in 2010 that was EXACTLY like my sister's. My sister is 10 years older than I am. She graduated in 1972 and she STILL uses the same set of hot rollers she bought as a teenager. Here's a picture of the case:


And the inside:


Have any of you tried a vintage hairstyle? Have any of you seen a hairstyle that you used to wear "back in the day" and you're a little miffed that it gets the name "vintage?" (HA!)

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to have Samantha's hairstyle from the first season of Bewitched. I know she got it with hot rollers because in one episode she was wearing the rollers.  In the scene you could actually see the front and back of the roller formation.  I kept pausing to try to see the way she rolled it. I tried it out. I did not succeed. The one word that came to mind was "FRIZZ!" I still want to make it happen, though. Maybe one day! 

Source

3 comments:

Sally@threeblondeboyz said...

Reading your lovely post transported me back down memory lane. Gosh I had the 80's perm and I looked terrible, actually when I view photos of female family members in that era, to be fair, we all looked equally awful! What were we thinking? I love the 40's & 50's styles, so glamorous! Lots of hard work too though. Thank you for cheering me up, Sally @ Enlightenment for the sleepy xxx

K Quinn said...

Ohmigosh! This has so been on my mind lately. I tried to fashion a retro inspired updo for church last Sunday. I should have used hairspray. But it must have been okay as my mom kept patting it and saying how nice it looked (only a mom).

My best friend from elementary through college tried a perm on her ultra straight hair once. It didn't take at all. It was as if she just had a small case of bed head. Her own straight hair was pretty though just as God made it.

Roxanne said...

Sally--Yes, at least we all looked the same so the horror of it wasn't so noticable LOL!

I visited your blog--loved the pics of your youngins!

K Quinn--I would say that hairspray is one of the keys to getting those retro looks. Hey, does anyone remember Dippity Do? My sister (older) swore by it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails