Dec 17, 2008

"Test Run" Thursday meal

It is currently 26 degrees outside. Beef Pot Pie sounds like it will hit the spot.

I have pie crusts, cooked roast and gravy, mixed vegetables, onions and cornstarch. Looks like I can turn it into a comfort food to me! I'll add a salad using the lettuce I bought last night, dried cherries, pathetic carrots, and salad dressing.

I've decided to try this recipe, tweaked, of course:

The Recipe:

1 pound roast, leftover from crockpot meal

Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup gravy from leftover crockpot meal
2 Cups mixed vegetables

3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 (9-inch) refrigerator pie crusts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

  • Bake bottom crust in oven for 7-11 minutes. Do not brown.
  • Chop up roast and place in bottom crust.
  • Steam veggies until thawed and warm. Add to pie crust.
  • Put gravy into saucepan and heat.
  • Mix 3 T cornstarch with 1/3 C cold water. Add to gravy and bring to a boil.
  • Pour on top of veggies and meat.
  • Place top crust over pie, pierce in several place to let out steam.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes, basically just to bake top crust

Well....it looks good on the outside:


Here's a slice taken out with some leafy color to jazz it up a bit:





Verdict:

Me: My own cooking always freaks me out a bit. I never trust myself to be able to pull things out and put them together into something edible. Sadly, I trust Swanson more! BUT, this turned out really well. Really well. It's almost gone.

Hubby: Can I have seconds, please?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails