Dec 23, 2008

Week One: Wednesday (Day 3)

Tonight we will be feasting on Lasagna. I love lasagna. It's SUCH a comfort food, especially with the temperature at TEN degrees outside. I'll serve that with salad. I've had a lot of salad. I really like salad.

I've tweaked the basic recipe by adding a cup of shredded zucchini. I'm all for extra veggies without much fuss.

The Recipe:

1 pounds ground beef
1 medium chopped onion
1 garlic clove
1 C shredded zucchini
1 1/2 pounds mozzarella, (5 cups grated)
1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
15 oz. cups ricotta
1 egg
1 pound lasagna noodles
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crush the garlic; grate the cheeses. Chop the onion.
  • To make the sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, zucchini, salt, and pepper 1 minute.
  • Add ground beef; cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
  • Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute.
  • Coat baking dish with cooking spray or oil; spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish.
  • Top with a layer of noodles. Next, spread a third of the ricotta, then 1 1/2 cups sauce, on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
  • Repeat these steps 2 more times.
  • Top with a layer of noodles, the remaining sauce, and mozzarella
  • Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes.
  • Remove foil; bake 20 minutes more.
  • Let rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

I don't have garlic (wish I did!). I DO have granulated garlic. I may add a shake at some point in the recipe.

Verdict:

Me: This is the best lasagna I've ever made!

Hubby: This is the best lasagna she's ever made!



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails