Jan 21, 2009

Week Five: Wednesday (Day 23)

I've made tonight's meal before. I love it every time I have it, but I always have to talk myself into making it. It's because I HATE the name: Cabbage Skillet Dinner. It just sounds awful. Can anyone suggest a more appetizing name? The meal is worth a more suitable moniker. I just can't think of one!

The Recipe

1 lb. Ground beef
¾ C chopped onion
1 cup juice (See Note Below.)
4 C chopped cabbage
2 T brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp pepper

  • Brown beef and onion.
  • Add other ingredients.
  • Heat to boiling then simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes.

NOTE: I have oranges, so I squeezed enough juice to make a cup. Because the OJ was so sweet, I could have left out the brown sugar. You could also use cider or apple juice, but my FAVORITE way to make this is with cranberry juice. So versatile!

Another NOTE: I just realized that this recipe could be a FAST FOOD meal. If you brown all of your ground beef and freeze in 1 pound portions AND if you chop and saute a bunch of onions and freeze in meal size baggies, it's practically a throw together meal!

Yet Another NOTE: I need to think this through and figure out what needs to be on hand to provide that "Fast Food" possibility to keep me away from the drive-thru. Soon, I'll do it soon.

The Verdict

Me: As I said above, the OJ was too sweet. Otherwise the textures and flavors were wonderful with the crunchy cabbage, the beefiness of the beef, and the sweetness of the juice.

Hubby: Too sweet. Seconds, please?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails