Jan 30, 2009

Week Six: Friday (Day 28)

I had a little trepidation about this recipe for Ground Turkey and Barley Soup. It really looked like odd ingredients, but since I'm at the end of this experiment, that's pretty much what I have left LOL!

It certainly went together well. See my "verdict" below for the results.

The Recipe:

1 pound ground turkey
4 cups water
4 cubes beef bouillon cube
1 can creamed corn
1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Bay leaf
1 tsp. curry powder

  • Cook barley according to package directions (takes about 15 minutes).
  • Brown turkey.
  • Add all ingredients together.
  • Bring to a boil to heat through.

The Verdict:

Me: It tasted great! I love curry and this was a nice change from the other spices I've been using. If I had my "druthers" though, I would either increase the barley or just substitute a small pasta shape. It was a nice warm, tasty, wintry thin soup. Perhaps more barley would thicken it up if that floats your boat.

Hubby: Curry is NOT my favorite, but this had lots of flavor (other than curry) going for it.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails