Jan 11, 2009

Week Three: Sunday (Day 15)

I'm just a Cookin' Fool this week! After two duds (Monday and Thursday), I was in serious trouble for the weekend.

I went shopping for my minimal groceries (shopping bill came to $7.76) and was eyeing the cans of soup that were on sale. I spotted the Corn Chowder and inspiration hit! I HAVE all the ingredients (almost) for Corn Chowder!

The Recipe

4 potatoes (I was out.)
Butter
4 T flour
4 T butter
1 onion, chopped
2 T butter
4 Cups milk
1 Cup water
3 boulion cubes
4 Cans creamed corn
2 Cans whole kernal corn
20 drops of hot sauce (or to taste)
salt
pepper

  • Peel and cube pototoes and cook until tender (20 minutes), set aside
  • Saute onions in 2 T butter, set aside
  • Make roux with 4 T butter and 4 T flour
  • Slowly add milk, stirring to keep smooth
  • Add water (hot) with cubes crushed in the water
  • Add potatoes
  • Add onions
  • Add all six cans of corn
  • Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper
  • Put in a crockpot on low until ready to eat

I didn't have pototoes which I think would have added to the overall happiness of this meal. It was still VERY good. More hot sauce can be added in the individual dishes to increase the heat.

The Verdict:

Me: I'm so proud of myself for coming up with this one! It was definite comfort food for hardly any effort and ZERO price!

Hubby: It was really, really good--the potatoes would have made it great.

2 comments:

Jitterbug said...

I'm so sorry you didn't have any potatoes!

Have you decided what you'll do when your 30 days is over?

Roxanne said...

I've been giving that some thought. I think I might make some critical purchases like canned tomatoes, pasta, and such and then go another 30 meals.

The other day I told my son, "Let's go shopping." I took my canvas tote and headed down to the basement!

Thanks for the question. I need to get my plan ready to tweak.

Related Posts with Thumbnails