Feb 2, 2009

Week Six: Monday (Day 29)

I can't believe I'm FINALLY nearing the end. Originally I thought I'd do 30 days of menus but quickly realized that I wouldn't be cooking every single day for a month. Stretching it to 30 meals extended the time by a little over two weeks!


Tonight recipe should be warming and comforting and full of veggies. We're having Cream of Summer Squash Soup. I'm using THIS recipe and adapting it to my needs.


The Recipe:

4 T butter
4 T flour
4 cups milk
4 cups chicken broth
2 T butter
1 c chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (I did not use.)
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups shredded yellow squash
1/2 cup sour cream or cream (I had to omit.)
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley, Tarragon, or chives (as desired)

  • Make a roux with the flour and butter.
  • Slowly add 2 cups of the milk, stirring continuously.
  • Let boil for 1 minute, set aside.
  • Saute onion and rice in the other 2 T of butter.
  • Add 4 cups of broth and bring to boil.
  • Simmer rice until done (40-50 minutes)
  • Add shredded zucchini and yellow squash the last 10 minutes or so. Cook until soft.
  • Add other two cups of milk.
  • Stir in white sauce and heat through. Remove from heat.
  • (Add sour cream or cream at this point, if needed.)
  • Season and top with fresh herbs.
  • Stir in
I made some biscuits to go with this.

The Verdict:

Me: My changes made the soup nice and thick. I didn't have any sour cream or cream to use, but it might not need any. I DO wish I'd had some fresh herbs to go on top. That would have been really nice.

Hubby: I prefer thick soups. The curry soup we had the other night was full of flavor, but this was nice and thick as well as having flavor.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails