Sep 13, 2009

Good Golly, Miss Molly!

I have been SO busy that I haven't (gasp!) been able to post regularly at all! I kept composing posts in my mind, but I knew that I had to prioritize.

Now that the company has left and the big church anniversary thingy is over, I'm moving back to "normal." I still need to get the pics of our new wall colors, so I'll post about that later.

I wanted to confess that I have been holding out on you.

A few weeks ago I was at a barn sale. In the back corner there were some magazines from the 80s. I was having a good time looking at the styles of my youth when I got to the lower part of the stack. I couldn't believe my eyes! Fifteen Women's Day and Family Circle magazines from the 1940s and 1950s! They were musty (60 years of being packed away will do that for you), but in really great shape. I snatched them up so fast I think I hurt myself. I got the price for them and casually asked if there were more.

(WARNING. The answer that I received to my question may cause severe emotional trauma. Proceed at your own risk.)

The lady told me that there were hundreds of those. They threw them in the dumpster. The dumpster had already been picked up by the trash company. The ones I found must have been mixed in with the 80s magazines that they decided to keep, so they escaped the horrible fate of the others.

I swallowed. I paid for the magazines and returned to my car. A tear trickled down my face. Then, I decided to be grateful for what I DID have and rejoiced over my find. I'll be sharing little tidbits here, of course!

Here's a picture of one of the covers.


7 comments:

Packrat said...

Oh, I just cried, too, but glad you got the magazines that you did. (I went to a thrift shop the other day and was told that they just threw away a large box of patterns about 2 days earlier, so I know how you feel.) Some people just don't think the same as we do. Sigh.

Glad to hear from you and awaiting pictures. :)

Mary said...

Oh, that's so sad! Our brother-in-law found some 50's Life magazines and Popular Mechanics magazines at a thrift store, and before they left, he gave them to us!! Stories in there about England just after WWII.

Roxanne said...

I knew y'all would understand!

I have skimmed through all the magazines and am starting back through to read the articles now.

The focus on all things "home" is so refreshing!

A said...

Makes me ill :(

Shay said...

Twenty years ago I had a similar experience at an antiques mall in Michigan. A woman sold me a brown paper grocery sack STUFFED with 1940's Vogue patterns and casually remarked that she'd just thrown a whole bunch of them out the week before.

(sob!)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow -- I would've cried too. These are the kinds of magazines I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read. So wholesome and family centered compared to the gibberish you see today. Even the ads are fun to ready in those old magazines.

Now, brace yourself, in case you want to run and come visit me immediately...

The state library of Michigan has a gigantic collection of every old magazine known to mankind free for your reading (except you have to do it in person).

I've spent hours and hours tucked away at a corner table reading until my eyes were blurry. I always wanted to check out the magaiznes and read them at my leisure, but sadly they don't let you check them out. One Saturday I remember reading just about every issue of Good Housekeeping from the 1950's. So much fun!

Take Care,

Trixie

Roxanne said...

Amanda--Isn't it funny how news like that affects us!

Shay--I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one that seems to happen to LOL!

Trixie--So, do you have a guest room? That sounds DIVINE!!

I agree--even the ads are awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails