Nov 8, 2009

Bunker Living: The Benefits

(Below is a totally not-to-scale, rough attempt at a layout of The Bunker. I wanted to post this to give a bit of an idea of where things are when I talk about living "down under." I believe it will get bigger if you click on it.)

I wanted to point something out. My sewing area is in extremely close proximity to the TV viewing, etc. area. Since moving to The Bunker, I've found that I'm actually getting to some of those projects I've put off for, well, a very long time. I am thrilled and decided to analyze why.

Most middle-class homes in the past had one area where everyone congregated in the evenings, each doing an activity, but all together. With my combining of many different areas of my house into one specific area, I've created the opportunity to do something similar.

Before the big furniture moving activity, the office was where I worked on the computer, the den was where we watched TV, and the basement was where my sewing machine was. Things were too far apart for the family to gather together, so we either did ONE thing together or had to separate.

Not anymore! For example, the other night my son was asleep on the other side of the curtain, I was working on a sewing project and my husband was sitting on the floor fixing a couple of lamps. A video of some documentary stuff my husband had recorded YEARS ago (that we had always intended to watch) was playing on the TV. Oh, and I had the laptop down there, too, so I could look things up as needed.

ALL at the same time. It was a modern version of the father reading the paper, the mother darning socks, the kids playing quietly on the floor (well, mine was sleeping on the floor), and the radio playing some swing music in the background.

But wait, there's more.

We had the wood fire going and it was 68 degrees, baby! Like I said, I WILL be warm this winter!

7 comments:

Packrat said...

Thank you for sharing. I think that is why I don't sew very much any more. My husband doesn't like the mess (he should talk!) in the living room so the sewing machine got put upstairs. It is either too hot or too cold upstairs. And, it has always been away from the rest of the family. That is the aha moment. Too far away.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--It's true, isn't it? OK, it's time to haul that machine downstairs!

Packrat said...

Actually, it is now, but there isn't any place to set it up. That is another project to be dealt with. URRR. I wish I had your energy.

Packrat said...

Okay, here is the answer to your question - No, you don't have word verification turned on. To turn it on, I think you go into Settings and then Comments. It is clear down at the bottom of the page.

I noticed you were getting garbage, because I always click for the follow-up comments to be emailed to me.

A said...

Bunker looks great. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Growing up, the kitchen was the main gathering point in our house. (Probably because that's where the wood stoves were). My dad would sit closest to the stove and read the farm news and local papers. Us kids would sit at the table doing school work or craft projects. Mom would either help us or work on some sort of sewing. Sometimes we all sat around and cracked black walnuts. Lots of fun times.

Roxanne said...

Trixie--Exactly what I'm talking about! I grew up in a 1900sf house with four of us. We all stayed in our own areas far away from one another.

One year we spent three weeks traveling in a motorhome (FL to CA). Upon our return we found ourselves congregating in the SAME room of the house because we had gotten so used to being together LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails