Nov 29, 2009

Gotta Have Bing, Baby

To me, Bing Crosby is "The Voice" of Christmas. I don't feel that the season is truly started until I hear White Christmas in his wonderful baritone.

When I was growing up (before VCRs, DVDs, and other various acronyms existed), my family checked the TV guide to find out when Bing's Family Christmas Special was on so we wouldn't miss it. The other requisite show was White Christmas. If we missed it, it was just tough patooties. There was no such thing as recording it until later--or reruns, for that matter!

I have the movie on video (I know, I need to update to a DVD), but I haven't seen the Christmas shows in a while. Enter, the internet. The internet is fabulous is so many ways. I found some on YouTube that I will probably listen to at some point. Very cool.

Anyone else a Bing Crosby fan?

My dad collected 78s. (For those too young to know what those were, that was before the "vinyl" records, aka 33s. Also available were singles on 45s. Hmm. We didn't use acronyms in the past--we used numbers!) In his collection he had a lot of Bing Crosby as well as recordings of his brother, Bob Crosby. (I wonder. . .do you suppose???)

Yep! There's an audio that I can embed in this post! Technology can be a wonderful thing. I tried to embed the player, but it argued with me. If you'd like to hear Bing's brother, click on THIS LINK.

5 comments:

weenie_elise said...

every year when we sing carols we have to sing 'White Christmas' and you have to sing like Bing or else...

A said...

To me, Bing is definitely Christmas. Who can beat that voice?

FarmMom said...

"White Christmas" with Bing AND Danny Kaye (Love him too!!) is the official kick-off for ALL Christmas movies at our house!

Packrat said...

I knew I loved you. lol

Roxanne said...

Weenie--is there any OTHER way to sing "White Christmas?"

Amanda--Oh, yes. Those dulcet tones...

FarmMom--That part was totally made for Danny Kaye! He's awesome.

Packrat--Great minds think alike!

Related Posts with Thumbnails