Nov 14, 2009

Reporting in from Myrtle Beach

After 18 hours of traveling in only two days, we decided to spend one day of "vacation" in Myrtle Beach as a family of three before we add the fourth member. We got in about 8:30 last night. This morning we awoke to the sight and sounds of the Atlantic ocean (ocean front room, baby!) and about 57 degrees. (It is November, after all.) Augusta promises clear, sunny weather and the temps in the 70s. "Up North" is just a tad bit cooler right now. (Ha!)


Right now I'm in the lobby doing a little computer stuff and my husband and son are in the heated pool. When they finish we're going to do a little sight-seeing, get a Butterfinger Blast from Sonic (it's been two YEARS since I had one of those!), and then travel the final 4 1/2 hours to Augusta to make arrangements to move my MIL.

My MIL is 72 years old. She was a teenager in the 50s. Her family lived in a small bungalow-style house in Augusta, GA. She and her twin sister got the full middle-class teenager experience: cashmere twinsets, sock hops, drive-ins, the works. She and her sister went to college, the first in their family. Upon graduation (she was a music major--piano and voice), she married my husband's father. In 1963 my husband was born.

I wanted to sing her praises for a moment. My husband and I met when we were 16, so I've known my MIL nearly as long as he has! When I met her, she was 43yo. She was (and is) an accomplished, gracious, generous southern Lady, with a capital "L."

I've experienced her generosity on a pretty big scale. On breaks from college we stayed with her. The summer we got married, we stayed with her and she helped me get everything ready. After graduating from college, we lived with her. . . for a YEAR. Never once did she act like we were not welcome and enjoyed. She provided everything as we saved our pitiful $3.35 an hour minimum wage pay checks.

I've also privileged to be the wife of the son SHE raised. He is who is he because of the foundation she gave him. I am grateful for the quality of character she instilled in him.

So, I'm excited about the opportunity to return the generosity. Her life has been difficult since her marriage to her current husband nearly 30 years ago. He has NOT been a good husband. I won't bother with the details, but suffice it to say that we plan to try to provide an environment of life and joy for her that she hasn't had in a long time. That's the least we can do.

I've written this for two reasons. One, to honor her. Two, so I have this in writing where I can go and read it when the challenges begin!

Off to enjoy the heated pool.

2 comments:

Packrat said...

Bless you both! Your MIL sounds wonderful.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--Thank you and thank you for praying. I really appreciate that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails