Nov 15, 2009

Time for a Poll

It's been a while. It's time. Yes, it's poll time.

This has to do with a question I've been mulling about for a while. It's really critical that you weigh-in with your opinion. I'm aware that this could cause division. In fact, I'm not sure that I should even broach this subject, but I think I must.

I've lived "up north" for 12 years. I lived "down south" for 30 odd years. I just passed the Mason-Dixon line two days ago as we journeyed to Georgia, and my curiosity must be satisfied.

I miss southern food. In fact, I REALLY miss southern food. Upon crossing the line of Dixie, I immediately found five restaurants (all at one exit) that embodied all the southern food groups: Chic-fil-a, Shoney's, Bob Evans, Waffle House, and BBQ.

"Up north" has none of these, at least where I live. No sweet tea, no grits, no smoked BBQ meats, and no buttermilk biscuits. No sausage gravy (which is a beverage). No hush puppies. There's more, but I'm salivating on the keyboard.

On the other hand, I have eaten myself into a fried stupor in just two days and am beginning to miss the fancy salads and soups that are plentiful in the north.

My poll question is this:

If you had to eat food from only ONE region of the US for the rest of your life, which would it be? I am not allowing ethnic foods because those can generally be found nearly every where. New York City doesn't count at all because the variety there is astounding.

Your choices are:

  • New England
  • The South
  • The Midwest
  • The Southwest
  • California
You get to choose only one, and I'm assuming that your choice will be made with a bit of loyal passion. I felt the time had come, though, to put our cards on the table and put our poll choices where our mouths are. Or something like that.

If you're feeling especially adamant, leave a comment to support your choice!

11 comments:

Packrat said...

Ha - you left out the inland Northwest - which is different. But that is okay, because I'd get might tired of just meat and potatoes. :)

Packrat said...

PS I voted for the South, but it is about 50-50 on the South and the Southwest. By California, I assume you mean vegetarian new age type dishes?

FarmMom said...

I've lived most of my years in the South, but consider myself from the North. I sometimes can't remember which foods came from which part of the country! I had to vote loyal and go with New England. But, perhaps you can tell me WHICH exit I can get my fill of Southern Food Ecstasy? I do miss it!!!

A said...

Southern food is fantastic, but I'd have to stick with what I know, the Midwest. Meat and potatoes country all the way!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I hear you on the hush puppies. I could eat just those for a meal.

I would have to pick Midwest food, mostly because that's all I've ever eaten and I'm not fond of grits and sweet tea.

Trixie

P.S I have a New Englad Supper Potluck cook book and boy is that sucker filled with some tasty hearty fare.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--Yes on the CA description. I didn't know there WAS a "inland NW" region! Is it similar to the midwest meat and potatoes or something different?

FarmMom--I'll take note of the exact exit on our way back north and let you know.

Trixie and Amanda--Don't you just LOVE how we have regional foods? It's funny how we love what we grew up with, but because of our ability to travel easily, we can experience other areas.

Packrat said...

Inland Northwest - Roughly east of the Cascades to the basically the edge of the Continental Divide. North and south it takes in from parts of British Columbia and Alberta Canada to Northern Utah? Some might argue with my description, and we'd probably all be correct. (Then there is the Intermountain Region, but we eat about the same things.) Meat and potatoes are the standard. Only the meat consists mostly of beef, venison, and fish (trout, steelhead, and river-run salmon).

Packrat said...

PS - The Inland Northwest actually probably stops further north than I said. The Inland Northwest and the Intermountain Regions overlap so who knows what or if there are any boundaries.

Packrat said...

PS - The Inland Northwest actually probably stops further north than I said. The Inland Northwest and the Intermountain Regions overlap so who knows what or if there are any boundaries.

Tess said...

I had never considered the benefits of regional food before I met my current boyfriend, who is from Memphis, TN. I grew up in Montana and now live in the Inland NW, so most of what I've eaten is venison or fish with potatoes or pasta. Lately I've taken to eating more and more "vegetarian new age type dishes," mostly because of budget and health concerns.

In spite of all this, I'm going to have to vote for Southern food! I periodically fly down with my boyfriend to visit Memphis. Every time I go, my mind is blown by some new dish I've never tried. The first time, they talked me into trying sweet tea. Next time I flew down was in May, and we were there for the barbecue festival. Last time I was there I had hush puppies for the first time, and once again, I fell in love.

It's a good thing I live up north... I don't think my waist-line could handle my love-affair with good Southern cookin'!

Roxanne said...

Well, The South won the food choice award--hands down. I'm not surprised.

Tess described the draw and I agree. I think it's a combination of comfort food and variety that is just not found in other regions.

Tonight we're in a hotel in VA. Tomorrow we will cross the Mason-Dixon and my food choices will be limited once again.

Let's all bow our heads for a moment of silence.

Related Posts with Thumbnails