Jan 22, 2010

National PIE day!

I am on a roll with this "National ___ Day" stuff. I've been waiting for this one. So has my husband.

This time, it's National Pie Day. (Click below for info.)


Since my husband is a pie man (which we discussed HERE), I decided to let him decide his pie choice. I got out my 1955 Gem of a Cookbook and he looked through ALL 17 of the pie pages.

Here's what he chose (I kid you not):

Prize Prune Pie

Unbaked 9" pie shell
2 3/4 cups cooked dried prunes, pitted
1 egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup prune juice
Crumbly Crust (recipe below)

Start heating oven to 425 degrees. Arrange prunes in pie shell. Beat egg with sugar, salt, lemon juice, prune juice; pour over prunes. Sprinkle with Crumbly Crust. Bake 40 minutes.

Crumbly Crust (My husband wanted a regular pie crust for the top.)

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

With fork, blend together all ingredients.

Will you be celebrating National Pie Day? If so, what pie will you be making.

I bet it won't be this one!

4 comments:

Packrat said...

Oh my. Actually, it is probably very good. Just make sure you have lots of TP in the house. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Roxanne said...

Scary, isn't it?

Price Chopper DID have a sale on TP this week...

Anonymous said...

I hate to break it to you but Prune Pie is not the way to celebrate Pie Week.

Trixie

Roxanne said...

Trixie--I TRIED to tell my husband that, but it didn't budge him.

I made a little apple pie with the leftover crust for me to eat.

I HAD to celebrate too, didn't I?

Related Posts with Thumbnails