The realtor FINALLY got back with us with the numbers. They're pretty much what we expected. Now we have to begin phase 1 of the the decision process.
In order for our house to be ready to sell, we would need to accomplish the following:
- Replace the roof on the back of the house and the whole garage. We already have the materials, it's just a matter of labor--and decent weather. Cost: currently unknown. (Our roofer is in the hospital with his wife today--they're having a baby!)
- Replace the carpet in the downstairs. We are going to try to rent a cleaner and see what that will do first. Cost for cleaner: $50. OR Cost for replacement: ~ $300.
- Paint interior. Since my husband is a paint contractor, the labor would be "free." The realtor said my kitchen blue had to go! He thought the "pudding" color in the living room would be fine (since it's a neutral). The rest of the rooms just need a fresh coat. He actually thought the powder room faux finish could stay. Cost: ~ $200 for materials.
- Paint the exterior. Again, the labor would be "free." Time and weather, of course, would be the issue. Cost: ~ $500 for materials.
- Finish the basement stairs. They're still raw wood and taped drywall. Husband's labor would be free. Cost: ~ $50 materials.
- Finish shed. SIX years ago my husband added a tool shed to the back of the garage. It has been useful, but not pretty. It needs siding, a roof, and a door. We've got the roofing and siding materials, but still need the door. Cost: ~ $50.
- Odds and ends throughout the house. Cost: ~ $100.
That means we're looking at a LOT of man hours and around $1200 for supplies. That doesn't include the roof. That could be another (guessing here) $2000? That would bring the total to ~ $3200.
Granted, all of these things have needed to be done for quite some time. The reason we HAVEN'T done them is because of the money! Ironic, isn't it?
Now, about that powder room.
If you were searching for a home and saw this bathroom, would you want to keep it as is, or would you prefer it to be neutral? The walls are a deep red with faux finish stripes. One stripe is shiny, one is matte.
Would you vote on the sidebar, please? I'm really curious what YOU would find more appealing.