Feb 6, 2010

Just for fun

Trixie at Farm Home Life had this list up, personalized with her own experience. (Click HERE to read her comments.) I enjoyed reading hers so much, I thought it would be fun to do. I'm a list sort of person...

(My items are in bold.)

1. Started your own blog (Well, that was a given!)

2. Slept under the stars

3. Played in a band (I played piano for five years in our worship band at church.)

4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower (Still working on making this one happen. It's always cloudy!)

6. Given more than you can afford to charity

7. Been to Disneyland (Went there when I spent the summer in CA doing ministry camps. I was 19. Since I grew up in Florida, I have been to DisneyWORLD approximately 15 times. Oh, yeah!)

8. Climbed a mountain (They TOLD me we were going on a hike. They lied. Seven hours later I was at the top and the view was amazing. I will never do that again...)

9. Held a praying mantis (I have never and will never hold a bug voluntarily. I've held them involuntarily before, though. Comes from growing up in Florida.)
10. Sang a solo (I've gotten as far as a duet, but I don't see solos in my future. I HAVE done instrumental solos.)
11. Bungee jumped (Ha, ha, ha, ha! Next.)
12. Visited Paris (Someday.)

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (I grew up in Tampa, the lightning capital of the US. I've seen many storms over the Gulf, but none where I was actually out there with it.)

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child

16. Had food poisoning (Twice. One of the times my husband joined me. It's all about togetherness.)

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty

18. Grown your own vegetables

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train

21. Had a pillow fight (Many times. Heck, I could have one tonight if I wanted!)

22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (I did the opposite--the school where I worked paid the nine sick days you didn't use to YOU instead of the substitute, if you didn't use them. I didn't. We needed the money!)

24. Built a snow fort (Does it matter if it was really, really small? I got cold...)

25. Held a lamb

26. Gone skinny dipping (Twice. We were married. They were both private pools with no one else at home. The first time the mosquitoes tried to eat us alive. The second time the water temperature was way too cold. We dipped, we suffered, we got out.)

27. Run a Marathon (Trixie said, "Pulheeeze." I concur.)

28. Ridden in a gondola (If you count the SKI LIFT gondola, then it's Yes!)

29. Seen a total eclipse

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (I've done both.)

31. Hit a home run

32. Been on a cruise (We went to the Bahamas. Those tickets are CHEAP in the summer in FL.)

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (You mean, like my mom? Oh. Further back then that...)
35. Seen an Amish community

36. Taught yourself a new language (I'm working on teaching my son Latin. Since I know squat, I'm learning it, too.)

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke (That will NEVER happen.)

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt (Yessiree bob!)

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant

44. Visited Africa

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight

46. Been inside an ambulance

47. Had your portrait painted (My husband did one in charcoal. I was only 18.)

48. Gone deep sea fishing (And caught a Trigger Fish! Those things are a little frightening.)

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (We went snorkeling on our honeymoon in the Bahamas. I'm telling you: CHEAP in the summer!)

52. Kissed in the rain

53. Played in the mud (I have been known to make a mud pie or two in my time. My sister, however, was the Queen of the dirt pit.)

54. Gone to a drive-in theater (We went a year after getting married. The windows were fogging up (it was HUMID outside. Really, that was it.), so we turned the blowers on so we could see the screen. Confetti shot all over us and the car. The groomsmen had sabotaged us! The movie was The Breakfast Club.)

55. Been in a movie (Hubby was in a Frosty Root Beer commercial. I was there. I watched them film!)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China

57. Started a business (I did Mary Kay for about two years. I also helped my husband start his paint contracting business.)

58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia

60. Served at a soup kitchen

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (Oh, wait. It says SOLD, not BOUGHT.)
62. Gone whale watching

63. Got flowers for no reason (Husband is sweet about doing this.)

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (I have no veins. Ask my sister. She has no veins, too, although they managed to get blood out of her a few months ago...)
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp

67. Bounced a check (Sad, but true.)

68. Flown in a helicopter

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy ("Susie." She was a musical bunny I got for Easter. She played "Frere Jacques.")

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial

71. Eaten Caviar (I talked about the Florida Panhandle version HERE. I didn't eat that, either.)

72. Pieced a quilt (I still have it. Some year I'll actually quilt it, too.)

73. Stood in Times Square

74. Toured the Everglades

75. Been fired from a job (Only once. Oh, the humiliation!)

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone (Not MY bone, though. A college friend went golfing with me one day. She was a talker. She was yammering on about something and I was concentrating on my game. I was setting up to tee off, pulled back for a smooth stroke, let it fly and that ball went SOARING toward the hole. That's when I noticed the silence behind me. She was standing too close (we were beginners, neither of us realized she was too close) and I whacked her across the top of her nose. Blood every where. She drove herself to the hospital because I couldn't drive a stick-shift. They fixed her up and she sported two black eyes the next day. That next day was a Saturday on which her friend was getting married and her bridesmaid looked like she had been in a fight!)

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (Define "speeding." It was definitely too fast for me.)

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person

80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican

82. Bought a brand new car (The very first time ever was the 2003 van we still own. I love my van.)

83. Walked in Jerusalem

84. Had your picture in the newspaper

85. Read the entire Bible

86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating

88. Had chickenpox (At 19yo. THAT was fun.)

89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury

91. Met someone famous (Medium famous. HERE is my comment about that.

92. Joined a book club ("Great Books" in elementary school. Anyone else participate in that program?)

93. Lost a loved one (My dad died in 1995. I can't believe it's been that long ago.)

94. Had a baby (My boy!!)

95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit

98. Owned a cell phone (I had a TracFone for a short time about six years ago. I'm not interested in owning a cell phone.)

99. Been stung by a bee ("No-see-ums," yes. Bees, no.)

If you decide to do this, please leave a comment and a link. I'd love to learn more about you, too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roxanne,

I loved reading your list -- thanks for sharing!

I hear you on the climbing a mountain thing! Goodness is that a workout! We went up to Agawa Canyon in Canada several years ago and "climbed" errr..dragged ourselves up to the top of some cliff for the view (which was awesome). Unfortunatly because I was about to DIE from the climb I didn't appreciate the view as much.

Take Care,

Trixie

Rebecca said...

I love all of your commentary -- I've had my dose of laughter this morning, and now it's time to get busy on the real list - the daily list, not the bucket list - because my morning has been derailed by carpool, shoveling the driveway (just an inch), and now drinking coffee and perusing. Thanks for sharing.

Roxanne said...

Trixie--I thought I was going to die, too. I and two out-of-shape guys were in the very back. The rest were all in top condition and were WAY ahead of us. I was actually climbing over boulders and my life was flashing before my eyes.

At the top it was amazing. I had some blueberries with me. Those babies were the best tastin ANYTHINNG I had ever had!

Then we had to go back down.

The next day did your muscles attempt to make you pay for your decision to mountain climb, too?

Roxanne said...

Rebecca--I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I hear you about getting derailed. I keep thinking, "Maybe TODAY will be a normal day!"

Rebecca said...

RE: your sweet comments on my blog: LOL! (and I do NOT use "lol" -- ever!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails