Mar 4, 2010

PSA #1127R--Regarding Burned-On Food

Have you ever left a pan on the stove too long and burned the food? Have you scrubbed and scrubbed only to have the burned mess refuse to budge? Have you thrown pans away in disgust?

I have good news for you! This PSA will change your life. Or at least save a pan or two.

I have enameled cookware. I LOVE my cookware. There have been times, though that I've forgotten my pot on the stove and the food burned. Let's just say I got distracted. (Read: On the computer again!)

The last time that happened, my favorite pot was severely scorched and black on the inside. I called the company begging for help. The lovely lady on the other end said, "Well, here's what I recommend." I did what she said and it WORKED!!! The enamel was clean and white like I'd just bought it.

I've been cooking and reheating on the top of our wood stove lately. It's free heat, you know! Two days ago I used my Corelle bowls to heat supper. I put the food in one bowl and turned another bowl upside down to make a cover. The fire was a little hotter than I thought (and I got "distracted" again), and some of the food burned.

I soaked the bowl in hot water and a little soap. I scraped and then ran it through the dishwasher, and there was still BLACK inside the bowls.

Then I remembered "The Trick." I used it, and the bowls are pristine again! I now share it with you as . . .

Public Service Announcement #1127R (my birthdate and initial!):

  • Cover the burned area with hot water.
  • Pour in about a teaspoon or so of bleach.
  • Let sit for at least 24 hours.
  • IF needed (my bowls were completely white), scrub what's left a bit with a non-scratching sponge.
  • If not completely gone, soak another 24 hours and repeat.

It works!

5 comments:

Packrat said...

Well, I'll be. Thanks for the tip! Your way is much cheaper and easier than other ways.

No, I've never thrown a pot away - well except the one that I burned so badly that it fell apart.

Other tips: Fill the pan (burned area) with water and heat. Add baking soda - just dump a little in depending on how much water you are using - turn off burner and let soak. Might have to do this more than once.

You can also try Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser, but those things are expensive.

Roxanne said...

That Magic Eraser thing is pretty great, isn't it? It's gotten rid of all sorts of marks around the house for us.

Packrat said...

PS: I trying to play "catch-up" today. I thought I had mentioned using a heat diffuser, but didn't. If the top of the stove is too hot use something to cushion or raise your bowls or pans above the top - even a quarter inch will help. Purchased heat diffusers cost about $4.95 and up. Try a sturdy cooling rack or see if your husband has a small piece of expanded metal you could use. Do you have an old cast iron trivet with an open design? That should work, too.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--Our heater has an ATTACHED grille like you're talking about!

See, my MO regarding cooking has always been not wanting to WAIT for things to cook. The grille was taking too long, so I put it directly on the stove. The fire was going nicely and, well, burning happened.

You'd think after 25 years of cooking I'd develop some patience, wouldn't you?

daphne said...

TIPS from my mum:
If you have an especially thick layer of burned-on food, try adding a tablespoon or two of white vinegar to the water before stirring in the baking powder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails