Mar 5, 2010

The Days of Homekeeping

Does this look familiar?

Monday: Wash Day
Tuesday: Ironing Day
Wednesday: Sewing Day
Thursday: Market Day
Friday: Cleaning Day
Saturday: Baking Day
Sunday: Day of Rest

This poem gave guidance to many generations of women. Since nearly all followed it, they all knew what one another was doing each day! Labor-saving devices brought enough change (among other reasons) to enable us to create a schedule that works for our individual family--that may look nothing like the above order.

It's still interesting to me, though, to realize that without SOME sort of schedule, things just don't get done. Yes, I have lots of machines, but I still have to regularly use them for our benefit.

Vintage Homemaking has begun a series detailing each of the days. I've linked them below the banner (click to go to the site), and will add the rest as they are posted. I've been enjoying the articles about keeping the home in days gone by for quite a while and wanted to pass them along to anyone who didn't already know about this site.


If you're feeling especially overwhelmed with the housework, go over to THIS website that talks about how pioneer women, specifically Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother, accomplished the tasks on their assigned days.

You'll kiss your washing machine and hug many other appliances when you've finished reading that!

8 comments:

FarmMom said...

I love this post! I enjoyed the links and went exporing and found some very useful tips and fun stuff. Thanks for sharing! Biscuit and I have been trying to re-organize the way we keep the home to make it more efficient - this is mostly because we need more time for the fun stuff of homeschooling and keeping home.

Roxanne said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and found a new place to glean from.

You have stated my current philosophy:

"Organize the home so that it runs so well you can have more time for the fun stuff to DO at home!"

Mary said...

Kind of like "here we go 'round the mulberry bush"! Back following after fixing blog problems.

Roxanne said...

Welcome back, Mary!

Packrat said...

This kind of gives me the "willies". Sorry. My husband's grandmother was so set in her schedule, that she had to be "pried" away to enjoy life.

I have been thinking that I need a schedule of some kind, though. The I'll-do-it-later thing has gotten so far out of hand that is will take me years to get caught up. (How was that for a whole sentence of cliches? LOL)

PS: the verification is "jobities" JOBS!

Roxanne said...

Packrat--I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause you discomfort! Take a deep breath. There, better?

You said: "The I'll-do-it-later thing has gotten so far out of hand that is will take me years to get caught up."

See, this is my thinking, too. I've tried the clean/iron/cook/etc. when it seems to need it path. I never cleaned, ironed, or cooked!

Let's take that poem and update it and make it OURS! (Fist held high in triumph.)

K Quinn said...

Aw thanks for linking :) Your site is so cute! Stay tuned for more days...

Roxanne said...

K Quinn--I LOVE your site. In fact, your article about schedules has inspired me to tweak mine in a new way (I'll be posting about it soon) that has made things run WAY more smoothly!

I've been checking your site regularly for "Thursday" and the rest. I can hardly wait!

Related Posts with Thumbnails