Jan 15, 2011

The Best Grocery Trip Ever


It wasn't the actual TRIP that was the best ever. It's the perfection that I brought home.
I've always had trouble eating in a healthy way. I have never been able to get the hang of having "plenty" in the frig and pantry that can be translated into many, many delicious meals. I've been able to buy things on sale and stock up, but I have never, in one trip, felt that I had everything that I needed. Instead, I'd end up with nothing healthy to put together before the next grocery shopping trip and end up with my standby of spaghetti and sauce and no vegetables.
Until this particular trip, that is.
It's probably just me, but the picture above is a visual of the bounty that I see when I open my refrigerator. Except my frig stuff is better! I have an array of fruits and veggies, all tasty. I have a variety of meats that are healthy. I even have grain choices to finish the meals off. It's just a beautiful thing and I wanted to share.
Here's what I bought:
  • Bottom round roast
  • Roaster chicken
  • Boneless, skinless chicken
  • Ground turkey
  • Shrimp
  • Bay scallops
  • Sirloin steak

That's just the meat! Here are the fruits and veggies:

  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Red peppers
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Collard greens
  • Oranges
  • Green cabbage
  • Baby Bella mushrooms
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Strawberries
  • Cauliflower

And the extras:

  • Milk
  • Whole grain spaghetti
  • Sprouted grain bread
  • Brown rice
  • Omega 3 eggs

I can make some serious meals with this assortment! On top of that, it is enough food for three people for at least 2 weeks. For $150. (There are multiples of many of the items listed.)

I feel healthier just typing my list. Normally I gain weight when I read a fattening recipe, so this reversal is new for me.

Tonight's offering? Grilled sirloin steak, roasted red peppers and sweet onions over brown rice, and a raw multi-veggie salad with oil and lime juice dressing.

Woo Hoo! I even get to cook more tomorrow! (Wait, who said THAT?)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I come for a visit? Just don't make me Brussels sprouts, ok? LOL. I have to go shopping later today...I will try to channel you!

GOOD JOB!!!

FarmMom said...

Yay - so proud of you! I know of your love/hate affair with veggies! Your meals sound wonderful - enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

All of this sounds so delicious! We will be comming for supper....

Just curious, how do you make the scallops. I've always wanted to try them but not sure how (and if they would make enough of a meal for my hubby without emptying an ocean of them). What would you serve with them?

Finding Balance mommy said...

It is so hard to get it all together at the same time. :-) Great job!

Roxanne said...

Lexi--How did your trip go? Did you feel the "Perfect Balance" glow?

I may have to do a post about how I've embraced Brussels sprouts. Perhaps it will inspire you to give them another try!

Roxanne said...

FarmMom--Yes, veggies and I have been distant in the past. Our relationship is warming up, ever so slowly!

Roxanne said...

Trixie--I would LOVE to have y'all over for supper! Name the time and I'll be ready!

I asked my husband about the man's point of view on the scallops. He said that, no, they would NOT be in the least bit hearty. The ocean, indeed, would need to offer up something more substantial for a man appetite.

Cooking them is easy, but you have to be careful not to overcook them. They get rubbery.

I will be (because of the diet thing) cooking them in a little olive oil until they're barely done and then removing them from the heat to finish. They will be served over whole grain pasta that is tossed with olive oil and herbs. On the side will be a salad.

The scallops are lightly sweet, but you definitely have to guard them from getting that chewiness.

Blech.

Roxanne said...

FBMommy--You know what I'm talking about! To have this happen all at once was so startling.

I feel complete.

K Quinn said...

That's a beautiful list. I'm going mid week shopping tomorrow. We have a new store up the street that sells really nice produce so I've noticed I've been buying more. It helps when the gardening season is over. Wow! Can I come to your house for dinner? That is beautiful. Did you have a menu plan or just know what you wanted?

Related Posts with Thumbnails