Feb 4, 2011

Summer Tomatoes in the Middle of Winter


Trixie at Farm Home Life sent out a lament into cyberspace--the desire for a summer tomato. My voice joins hers. There is NOTHING like a summer tomato, especially warm from the sun as you pick it off the vine.

In the past, I've had a fairly satisfactory solution:

Many summers I have taken those lovely tomatoes and turned them into something I call "Raw Tomato Soup." I didn't want to process the tomatoes because the flavor, though delicious, would not be that from-the-vine flavor.

What I did was actually pretty simple (read lazy). I washed the tomatoes, cutting out any bad spots. Then I dipped them quickly into boiling water and peeled off the skin.

Next (now pay attention), I blended them with my food processor But. Not. Too. Much. I didn't want puree or even sauce. I wanted small chunks with lots of liquid.

Ready for the final step? I poured the tomatoes into glass jars and FROZE them!

In the middle of winter, I thawed a jar (hint: use wide-mouth jars in case you don't get around to thawing them in time for your meal so the partially thawed mixture slides out), dumped it into a pot to heat up, added a little salt and pepper and had the closest thing that I could get to those summer tomatoes.

You do what you have to when it comes to something this important!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I would probably use this for chili and beef stew. I can almost taste a BLT and some homemade salsa.

Roxanne said...

Stop it! I can't take any more fresh tomato talk!

The drool is going to damage my keyboard.

Packrat said...

Best way ever. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails