Jul 31, 2011

Five Year Yard: Current Status

Back in the winter when I could not even SEE my yard, I began to dream. After living here for 10 years, my husband and I felt that it was time to put down some roots--both figuratively and literally. I sketched out some ideas and my "Five Year Plan" for our property was born. (For more details, click HERE.)

My first sketch was how our .75 acres as of March of 2011 (Click to enlarge.):



My second sketch was what I hoped we would accomplish before the winter of 2011 was upon us:





I thought I'd give an update on what we've managed to do so far.

* The pool went in as soon as summer finally deigned to arrive. It has been summarily enjoyed at every warm opportunity.

* The garden was also put in even though the beginning of the summer threatened to make our property a lake...INSIDE as well as outside.

* I ended putting our compost bin in a different place when I realized that I wanted to have it more accessible to the kitchen in the winter as well as the summer. When I dug up the sod, there were already some nice worms down there. They smiled as I placed the compost bin above them. I smiled, too, though there was no way I was going to actually touch them.

* My plans for a worm bin are still up in the air. For now I'm counting the ones under the compost bin as my current crop.

* As of this afternoon, the fencing has been removed from its original position. That means that my next project will be to get my herbs in and the mint moved.

* The sunflowers being planted, and the lilacs and hydrangea being moved didn't make it this year. Of course, the summer isn't over yet!

* The other big project (beside the garden) that is about 75% finished is a real wood shed. Where I drew in "wood pile" is a real, honest-to-goodness shed. It's going to be beautiful. Anything that houses something that will keep me warm in the winter I will always consider beautiful. I'll take pictures and tell its financial story when it's finished--it's that awesome!

Much to my surprise and delight, we really ARE progressing on my Five Year Plan. Despite flooding, roof leaking, and being gone for half of June, it's really coming to pass. It just takes a plan and a WHOLE LOT of work. Nothing wrong with that!






8 comments:

Sue said...

Well if your summer is as hot as everyone elses summer, that pool is probably getting a really good workout!
Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Hi Roxanne! Well, I live in a Victorian house now, moved just last year. So I'm trying to figure out what perennials work best in front of my house. Bigger house equals bigger flowers looking good in front of the house. People have told me that I should just keep moving around my perennials until I like their placement.

:-) Marion

K Quinn said...

I love the garden area. That is so nice and convenient. So lovely when it all comes together.

Roxanne said...

Sue--We've had several days in the 90s, but the rest of the summer has been just glorious. This five month stretch makes the winter more bearable for me!

And yes, the pool was well worth the money LOL!

Roxanne said...

Marion--It sounds like your thumb is a lovely shade of green. I don't suppose you'd like to fly in for the weekend and give me some advice?

Roxanne said...

K Quinn--You're another one with a green thumb. I am hoping that I don't kill everything and we actually get more than just one or two vegetables for all the time, effort and money spent!

Packrat said...

Somehow I missed this post. Sheesh.

Looks great. You have really done a lot of work. Now, the picket fence - is that new or part of what you moved or something you are wishing for?

Woodshed - wonderful. Plus, you won't have to have all that piled on your porch.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--The fence was put in many years for J to have a safe place to play. Since he's 9yo now, we felt that we could repurpose the fence into something other than a playground.

I love picket fences.

RE: the woodshed, we are SO going to be warm this year!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails