Feb 14, 2012

Taxes--Part 1 of 2

It's that time of year again. TAXES.  I usually wait until the last possible minute. Do I hate them? Yes, I do. But, they're a necessary evil.

Wait, what was that word I used? Evil?

I was looking through some Ebay postings to see if I could find a picture of an old mid-century tax form to put on this post. Well, I did find some, but I came across something else that I thought was pretty funny. Apparently, I'm not the first to use the word "evil" in association with the word "taxes" (nor the last, I'm sure).

Look at this:


Source

In 1957 a man named Frank Chodorov wrote this book.  The blurb on the auction says:

    "Frank Chodorov was an extraordinary thinker and writer, and hugely influential in the 1950s. This is his American classic that argues that the income tax, more than any other legislative change in American history, made it possible to violate individual rights that were at the core of the founding. He argues that income taxes are different from other forms because they deny the right of private property and presume government control over all things."

Well, how about that!  I bet that would be an interesting read. 

So, I'm doing taxes.  I've determined that, evil or not, I'm going to get them done, take advantage of any tax breaks that I can find, and learn what I SHOULD have done and keep notes for the 2012 tax year.   I'll share what I glean in the next post.

Are you done with your taxes?  HERE is how mine were going last year.  It seems that this year will be a shorter experience...

3 comments:

weenie_elise said...

With a husband who is an accountant, I am very glad that I don't have to worry about taxes :)

Chrismc said...

why would you NOT want to pay taxes. Who is going to fund the society in which you live. Are you mad?
Who is going to repair your roads , collect your rubbish, etc etc.

Roxanne said...

Chrismc--I'm pretty sure I'm fairly sane. Thanks for asking.

I have no problem funding the fire dept., police dept., snow removal, road repairs, etc. It's the waste in government that bothers me.

Of course, that's nothing new. It's been going on since Washington's day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails