Feb 13, 2012

Needlework Challenge


I know.  It's definitely NOT summer.  It was 10 degrees here yesterday, though we're back up in the 30s today. 

The reason I'm posting this is that it sort of inspired me.  This article came from my August 1951 Family Circle magazine.  This is so NOT what you would find in today's magazines.  Oprah would not feature needlework projects for all that summer spare time! 

What struck me was the assumption that needlework was just done.  Since it was already being done, the magazine thought they would suggest something that would be lightweight yet useful.  I guarantee you that doing needlework of any sort has never crossed my mind when it came to thinking about what to do on a summer day!  Yet, the clip above claims that these types of projects would be the perfect "hot-weather hobby.  Only small pieces to hold and handle."

BUT, it has crossed my mind on these 10 degree, snowy winter days.  I always think of the big things I could do.  For example, Anna at Pleasant View Schoolhouse recently featured a coverlet made from recycled cashmere sweaters.  I totally want to do that.  It would be so soft and luxurious and perfect for a quick cover up while doing homeschooling reading or watching a video with the family. (Click on the source link below her picture to go to the post.)


Source
 I would love to do that blanket, but I was overwhelmed just thinking about even starting it.  I have so many UFOs in my sewing area from years ago, that I'm embarrassed.  The Family Circle article, however, got me thinking about finding a SMALL project to do this winter.  I'm going to look around and see if I can find something that calls to me.  If I do, I'll post about it.

Do you enjoy doing small projects here and there?  Any suggestions?  I can sew and crochet.  I'm not a fan of embroidery, but perhaps I could revisit that and see if the decades that have gone by since my last project might have softened my view!  I'm intrigued and ready to create something!

5 comments:

K Quinn said...

My sister learned to crochet after her son was born (he's 18 going on 19 now) and she used to crochet everyone hats. I still wear my beret in the winter. She also crocheted little sweaters for him.

I like small sewing crafts because they use up the bits and pieces I have lying around. Lately I've been trying my hand at fabric boxes. They're pretty easy and take little fabric.

My aunt does all sort of little knit, crochet and sewn items. Flowers, mini-dogs, slippers, scarves, hair stuff, bags. You name it.

Roxanne said...

K Quinn--That's what I'm talking about! It never crossed my mind that small projects would fall into the same category as big ones. They're still creative and still useful. I just didn't give them the same respect LOL!

I like your thought about USING UP the bits and pieces. I have some beautiful fabric that's really too small for what I'd like to use them for. Now I'm going to rethink them with "small" in mind.

Did you ever get my email? I wrote a couple of weeks ago. Check your trash/spam folder!

Roxanne said...

PS--What are "mini-dogs"?

K Quinn said...

Roxanne I used to think the same way. Until about a year ago. I just had TONS (still do) of little fabric pieces from big projects. My mom came and gleaned a bunch to make flower pins. Last year I made some Mother's Day slippers from bits and pieces.

I just did a big email sweep and nothing. My email has a habit of putting my favorite emails in very strange places. I'll have to flag yours for the special file. Can you resend?

This is the book she has for the mini dogs (long amazon link) The dogs are so cute and she gives them as gifts. => http://www.amazon.com/Knit-Your-Own-Easy---Follow/dp/1579128742/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329268165&sr=8-4

Roxanne said...

K Quinn--I'm truly inspired. Tomorrow I will be out from morning until night, but Thursday I'm going to go through my stash and see...well, just see.

The mini-dogs are amazing! I totally can't knit, though. I've tried to teach myself about half a dozen times and I'm just not getting it.

I'll resend the email. It will be coming from the Haven of home @ yahoo

Related Posts with Thumbnails