Dec 16, 2008

Christmas Dinner?

Can I do it? Can I make my part of the shared Christmas dinner without shopping for too many extra foods? I'm going to give it a try!

My sister and I share the responsibilities for the Big Three: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. We take turns hosting as well. The person who is hosting at her house is responsible for the meats and we divvy up the rest. This year Christmas is at her house.

Here's what I'm assigned to take (I've listed the entire menu at the bottom):

Coke IN THE FRIG CHILLING (because we hate hot coke!)
Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese (to DIE for) DONE (And we resisted eating it NOW)
Side dish: My Green Bean Casserole DONE
Side dish: Whole kernal corn with cream cheese and butter DONE
Dessert: Ice cream DONE (I slaved over this one.)


  • I've already decided on one side dish: My Green Bean casserole. It's all about the seasonings.
  • I already have the bottle of Coke, too. I bought it two a couple of weeks ago (on sale) and just didn't list it in my inventory. Didn't seem important at the time.
  • I DO know, however, that I don't have enough macaroni for the Mac and Cheese and will have to buy some. I DO, however, have the rest of the ingredients. Not too shabby.
  • Obviously we do not concern ourselves with calories. The corn with cream cheese and butter testifies to that.
  • I just have to decide on a dessert. My sister is making eggnog cheesecake (Mmmmmm!), so I'll do something to compliment that. But what? ETA I decided on mocha almond fudge ice cream.

I just love a challenge. I'll update this post to reflect what I end up doing. And buying.

I had to buy the following:

  • $1.29 Elbow macaroni (1 lb)
  • $1.99 Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream
  • $3.79 Egg nog (for Christmas morning tradition)

Total extra buying for Christmas: $7.07. Everything else was already in the pantry, bought and paid for!

Christmas Dinner 2008: (for appetizers we're doing boiled peanuts and flavored pecans)

  • Ham
  • Turkey breast
  • Crescent rolls
  • Fruit salad
  • Baked sweet potatoes
  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Cream Cheese Corn
  • Green Beans
  • Coke
  • Sweet Tea
  • Eggnog Cheesecake
  • Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails