Dec 15, 2008

"Test Run" Tuesday meal

Still running my tests. Still gathering my information. Still need to cook supper.

I have a head of cauliflower in the frig that I will turn into Cauliflower Salad. I also have a pork tenderloin that will NOT make it to the freezer first. I have been waiting for them to go on sale so I can make Maple-Mustard Glazed Pork Medallions. Love 'em.

I chose the acorn squash for two reasons. 1) It will easily cook right next to the pork in the oven. Two-for-one on the energy usage. 2) It was sitting on the counter and didn't make it into my inventory lists. That means it's gotta go.

The recipes:

Cauliflower Salad

1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
1/2 onion, chopped finely
2 Cups shredded cheese (I used just one cup)
3/4 Cup mayo
1/8 C (or less) sugar
Splash of Balsamic vinegar
10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Here's the hard part. The Directions. Ready? Here they are: Combine.

Maple-Mustard Glazed Pork Medallions

1 pork tenderloin
1/4 C Dijon mustard
1/4 C Maple syrup
1/3 C broth (or sherry or white wine)
1 1/2 T chopped fresh sage
or 1 1/2 tsp. dried

Slice tenderloin into 1 inch rounds. Prick with fork, hammer out a little, generally beat them into submission so they can soak up the good sauce.

Spray pan with oil. Place medallions in bottom of pan.

Mix together mustard, syrup, and broth. Add sage. I don't have any. I personally feel it's optional.

Ladle sauce over everything. Don't smack your lips when you taste the sauce.

Roast the pork for 10 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven. Reduce to 350. Baste pork. continue roasting about 20-25 minutes. Add more liquid if pan begins to dry out.

Acorn Squash

Slice in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Place on cookie sheet. Put a pat of butter and sprinkle cinnamon in the cavity left by the scooped out seeds. Put pan in oven while you're preparing the pork dish. It should be done about the same time as the pork.





Verdict:

Me: Once I dished it up I noticed something. It's pretty blah color-wise. It doesn't taste blah, though. I think I could have used the Italian Blend veggies to jazz it up. Note to me: Be aware of color as well as taste. The texture is good: Crunchy salad, tender meat, and smooth squash. It's just the color. I'll just close my eyes when I eat it.

Hubby: I've made these recipes before, so I already knew they were winners. He kept tasting and "yumming" everything while I was trying to finish up. I had to smack him with the wooden spoon to get him to quit. He is too hungry to care about the colors.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails