Jan 15, 2009

Week Four: Thursday (Day 19)

I've made Chicken Scallopini before and it is delish. I'm out of jarred pasta sauce, however. I'm going to approach (with trepidation) that last can of tomato puree and see if I can coax it to become pasta sauce. It looks promising.

The Recipe

4 flattened boneless, skinless chicken pieces (I'm using tenders)
2 C pasta sauce (tomato puree--I'm scared.)
1 egg
bread crumbs
T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced (out of)
slices mozzarella or Muenster cheese (I'm using Swiss)
Grated Parmesan

  • Dip chicken into beaten egg, then bread crumbs until completely coated.
  • In a large skillet, saute the garlic. Add the chicken and saute 4 minutes on each side.
  • Top each piece with a cheese slice.
  • Pour pasta sauce around chicken.
  • Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  • Sprinkle Parmesan on top.

Homemade Pasta Sauce

I found a really nice page of pasta sauce recipes HERE. I'm going to use the Tomato Sauce with Butter recipe since I have all the ingredients.

  • 28 oz. can tomato puree
  • 4 oz. butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 med. onion, peeled and quartered
  • 1 med. carrot, peeled and quartered
  • Pinch of sugar
  • Salt to taste

Combine in saucepan and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove onion and carrot pieces. Serve.

The Verdict:

Me: The sauce was still "tomato-y" but passable. I probably won't use that again. The chicken was good. I ended up making it into "nuggets" because I wanted to make sure it was done and I was in a hurry. I didn't plan well and dinner was upon me sooner than I was ready for!

Hubby: I'm not a sauce guy. The chicken, however, was very moist. I wouldn't want it every week but every once in a while would be fine. The breadcrumbs were great. (I used sprouted wheat bread that I toasted and crumbled.)

1 comments:

EB said...

Hi Roxanne!
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm so pleased you stopped by and that I've found your blog as a result!

What a wonderful project you have going. I'm looking forward to following along and feeling inspired.

Warm wishes,
Emily

Related Posts with Thumbnails