Jan 13, 2009

Week Four: Tuesday (Day 17)

I'm really looking forward to tonight's supper of Split Pea Soup. The recipe I found for this involved the crockpot. I heart my crockpot. The original is HERE.

The Recipe

1 16oz. bag of split green peas
4 cups stock
2 1/2 cups water
1 onion, finely diced
2 T butter
1 cup shredded yellow squash
Salt and pepper
Any other seasonings that float your boat
Bacon, fried and crumbled

  • Set crockpot on high and add dried peas and the water/stock.
  • Cook 4 hours.
  • Saute onions in butter until translucent.
  • Add shredded squash and heat through.
  • Turn crockpot to low and add veggies. Cook 2 hours.
  • Add seasonings.
  • Top each serving with crumbled bacon or stir into pot.

I will probably make cornbread to go with this with the last of my cornmeal.

The Verdict

Me: You almost can't go wrong with this. I would have preferred ham, but this definitely hit the spot. I was very impressed with myself for adding extra veggies and having them fit right in.

Hubby: Excellent. Would have been EVEN better with smoked ham.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I love split pea soup! My hubby makes the best. We always save our ham bones for this reason. Hope you enjoy it.

Roxanne said...

Do Share!!

I don't have any ham bones (my sister got to keep the one at Christmas LOL!), but that is my preferred addition to bean soup. I'm making do with the bacon.

The house smells wonderful right now. I'm kind of excited about sneaking in the shredded yellow squash for more veggie "punch." I hope it tastes good...

Roxanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails