Apr 11, 2009

Phase 2: Week 3--The Kitchen

(I spent three weeks working my way through my house to spring clean each room. I divided things up and kept myself motivated thanks to having to "blog" about it! Scroll to the very bottom and read up about my whole "experience.")

(Trumpets) (Drum Roll)


I have finished spring cleaning!!



I saved the best (?) for last. I did it for a few of reasons:

  • The kitchen would get daily hard use and would look un-spring-cleaned in a short amount of time.
  • I knew I'd finish just before Easter/birthday party day.
  • I knew it would take a LOT longer than the other rooms.

I actually considered it the "best" because I was excited to get it in ultra-clean condition as I've been spending more time in it than ever. Thanks to my 1958 diet, I have been creating way more meals from scratch. I could see how a spiffied up work space would just enhance that experience.

The TIME IT TOOK, however, was even longer than I thought.

I spent 45 minutes on the dishwasher alone. I took the cover off of inside the door. Yuck. It took a while to get it off and then replace it.

I scrubbed inside all of the cabinets, too, taking out the items. I had already decluttered, so I didn't need to do that as I went. Everything had a place and everything was in its place.

I did forget to clean one thing. The overhead light. I always forget to look UP. I'll get that on Monday.

TOTAL time spent on the kitchen? Three and a half hours. I. Am. Tired.

But doesn't it look sparkly and clean?


Here is my final tally as to how long it took me to "Spring Clean" my house. (I didn't include the basement as it is the holding place for the yard sale items.)

Week One:

  • Club Room: 57 min.
  • Seating Area: 24 min.
  • Den: 33 min.
  • Powder room and small hall: 17 min.

Week Two:

  • Upstairs bathroom, landing, and stairwell: 64 min.
  • Our bedroom: 63 min.

Week Three:

  • Son's bedroom: 30 min.
  • Office: 53 min.
  • Laundry/mud room: 47 min.
  • Kitchen: 210 min.

TOTAL Spring Cleaning time? 598 minutes or two minutes shy of 10 hours.

Whew! 10 hours. If I had known that I might not have started it! Doing things in small, planned chunks makes all the difference for me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Love the kitchen. Love all the retro stuff.

Roxanne said...

Thank you!

We've actually taken the wallpaper down and painted it a "retro" color. Go here to see its new "do":

http://havenofhome.blogspot.com/2009/10/before-and-after-kitchen-finally.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails