Jun 23, 2009

Chassis Maintenance: Manicure

I bite my nails. I've been doing it for decades. My mom made a deal with me when I was 5 or 6 years old. She sat me on her lap and we had a serious conversation. She would stop smoking if I would stop biting her nails.

She's been smoke free ever since. I, on the other hand, actually chipped my front tooth because of decades of pressure on that one point. So much body work to be done on this chassis!

My manicure was minimal last night. I did the basics. In two weeks my nails SHOULD be longer and I'll have a little more to "manicure."

Here's the Bare Minimum Manicure (aka "The Mini Mani"):

  • Apply moisturizer to clean hands and leave on.
  • Take a tablespoon of baking soda and rub all over hands and fingers.
  • Wash hands with soap and warm water.
  • Apply Vitamin E to cuticles and let soak (Thanks for the tip, Jeannie!)
  • Use orange stick to push back cuticles.
  • Wash hands with soap and warm water.
  • File nail edges.
  • Use buffer to smooth nail tops.
  • Apply light moisturizer.

Next time I might apply polish!

4 comments:

EB said...

Hi Roxanne!
Just popping in to say hi. Thanks for checking on me and the note on my blog. We were out of town for nearly a month and then I was just out of the habit of blogging and commenting.

Okay...I love all your projects and this one in particular is inspiring me to really make some changes. I'm always amazed at how much you can accomplish. Keep up the good work! And thanks, as always, for sharing your experiences with us.

Emily

Roxanne said...

I'm SO glad to hear from you! I visited your blog again just a day or so ago and was starting to get concerned.

I'm glad you popped by!

Anonymous said...

What I use instead of the baking soda is a homemade sugar scrub. Then I brush Vitamin E (scented with lavender) onto my cuticles, let it soak in a bit then use an orange stick to push back the cuticles. I use the extra step because of how dry our climate is up where we live and it helps so much.

When I was having manicures done at the salon they did the same thing so that is what I do at home.

I love all these pampering posts you've got!

Roxanne said...

Jeannie--I have VERY sensitive skin. I mean VERY. I tried the sugar scrub and it was just too much for me. The baking soda is about as much "roughage" as I can take. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works in the winter as it's pretty dry here then.

I love your idea about the scented Vitamin E on the cuticles. I'm going to try that for my next manicure. Moisturizing AND healing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails