Jun 19, 2009

Shoes

I've found this whole shoe discussion to be very interesting. I seem to have struck an area that needs attention.

Yes, shoes are primarily functional. We need our feet covered in the winter and at least the bottoms protected in the summer. They don't have to be fancy. They don't even have to be stylish.

They do, however, need to be well-cared-for looking.

Many of us have commented about the condition of our shoe collections. Tennis shoes that are worn out do not HELP your body when you try to exercise. Dress shoes that are scuffed, nicked, stained, etc. do not "finish" your appearance when you've gone to the trouble of dressing up.

Many years ago I had a friend who was definitely a "Mercedes." She was ALWAYS put together. Every hair was always in place. (She cut and colored it herself). Her clothes were always neat, clean, and never worn looking. (She bought quality when it was on sale and carefully took care of mishaps as soon as they occurred.) Her nails were always impeccable. (She gave herself manicures and pedicures.) I added the parenthetical statements to show that SHE was the one who took care of her "chassis maintenance."

Once, I asked her for advice regarding laundry because I was so impressed to see the same classic clothing for several years and yet it looked as good as new. I will post her laundry tips separately (they are GOOD!), but I want to share her shoe regime now:

  • Have two pairs of everyday work shoes and alternate them so that one can air while you wear the other.
  • When you've worn shoes in inclement weather, clean them as soon as you can. Salt, mud and dampness shorten a shoe's life.
  • Regularly take time to examine dress shoes for scuffs and worn areas. Use a "Magic Eraser" to remove black marks. Clean with a little soap and water. Use liquid shoe polish (She had one of each color) to coat and protect the shoes. If they're a favorite, comfortable pair, have the heels repaired when they become worn.
  • If they're too worn...Replace them!

One doesn't have to go out and buy new shoes all the time. Remember that CARING for our belongings makes them last longer.

The clothing part of my "Chassis Mission" on Sunday will include an examination of my shoes to see what can be changed. I will follow my friend's advice. If you've used any words to describe your shoe collection that are less than positive, maybe it's time to take a hard look and allow your feet to always look like you care about them...and yourself.

After all, they have to hold us up and get us around to do all that we need to do--for the next several decades!

3 comments:

weenie_elise said...

yes, i've found re-heeling and re-soleing shoes to have extended the life of some of my favourite pairs and a bit of polish never goes astray...

also spray your shoes with a good shoe protector spray before you wear them....

Roxanne said...

Weenie elise--We have SUCH a "throw away" mindset that it has caused us to not be vigilent to take care of what we have.

Tonight I will be attending to my shoes. I will add the shoe protector spray you suggested to my shopping list. I didn't know such a thing existed!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I vouch for the shoe protector spray. My husband and I put it on every pair we own and boy does it make a difference. Once can is about $5 and lasts for years. Just make sure to do it outside, because the smell is strong - -kind of like scotch guard for shoes.

Trixie

Related Posts with Thumbnails