Nov 21, 2009

BRIGHT salad recipe

This cookbook is just like the one I had when I first got married. I found it at a thrift shop and carted it home to make meals for my brand new hubby. It was really meant for newlyweds because the instructions are precise and the meals are simple. There are even directions for cooking pasta! Somewhere along the way I decluttered it, but I have since regretted that decision.

Imagine my surprise when I was looking through my MIL's cookbooks and found this one! I was so excited to see it again. I brought it home to add to my growing collection of 50s/60s cookbooks. I've enjoyed using these recipes partly because they're not so common now, and partly because of nostalgia.

There aren't that many pictures, but the recipes are fun to work with. Here's one that I plan to try soon, just because of the names and the bright colors!

Orange and Grapefruit Pinwheel Salad

Arrange orange and grapefruit sections alternately in pinwheel pattern on lettuce on each salad plate. Center with sprig of deeper green (watercress, mint, parsley). Serve with Ruby Red Dressing.

Ruby Red Dressing

1/2 cup currant jelly
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
dash of salt
few drops onion juice

Beat jelly with fork until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat again until smooth. Serve in small bowl on the side of the salad as a dipping sauce.

7 comments:

Packrat said...

So glad you found another copy. I have that cookbook, but I don't remember where I got it. Also, I have a coffee pot, creamer and sugar with that same pattern as shown on the cover! That china belonged to an elderly neighbor of my friend. My friend inherited the china, but didn't want those pieces. She actually had them in a box to take to the rummage, but I rescued them.

Packrat said...

PS: You must be home. I bet you're tired. Hope all is well...

Roxanne said...

That is COOL about the china!

Look through your copy and you'll see what I mean about it being geared to a new wife.

Yes, I'm home. We got in late last night. Today I took my MIL and son out to get her hair done (she hated it) and get a few Wal-Mart type things. My MIL was great. My SON, however, gave me fits.

He's used to being an "only" child and getting to participate in conversations. We are now realizing the error of our ways in allowing that!

I'm doing laundry. Lots of laundry. Remember that schedule I wrote up just before I knew about this big change? I mentioned having difficulty getting to bed when I should.

I won't have a problem tonight LOL!

Packrat said...

Oh, dear, about your son, but you don't want him to have to be silent either. We don't live in the "children should be seen but not heard" ages anymore. Other than a long explanation on not being rude (and whose definition of rude?), I have no solution. He is going to have his nose out of joint for a while. That's why I suggested one on one time everyday.

Did your MIL hate her hair before or after she had it done? I hope before. Sleep well tonight. Enjoy church tomorrow.

Roxanne said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It wouldn't *hurt* my son to have to be silent a little more LOL! We've taken your advice and made sure he has private time with us, too.

No--she hated her hair AFTER. Her favorite stylist is in GA. BUT, that is the only thing she has complained about at all. She's been sweet and grateful.

It's 11:00 now. I should have been in bed 2 hours ago. Off to go to bed now!

EB said...

Hey Roxanne! I've been MIA for a while, but wanted to pop in and say hello. I still read and enjoy your blog so much!

I have a copy of this cookbook, too. My mom also got a copy when she and my dad were first married. There is a funny story about her as a new wife, trying to cook dinner for my dad, and not really having much success. One night she prepared "Texas Hash", and he took a bite, sat back, and said (in a way that seems so anachronistically hilarious now but I'm sure was appropriate then), "You've done it!". Texas hash was always a favorite in our house and I make it still. I love the simplicity of the recipes in this book. The menus are handy, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Emily

Roxanne said...

Humble!! I'm glad to hear from you! I miss your posts, btw (hint, hint).

That's so cool that you have an authentic memory about this specific book. I agree that the menus are very handy.

Keep in touch and Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails