Nov 22, 2009

The Famous Fifty and their workmanship

A few days ago I posted about a circa 1919 catalog of homes called, The Famous Fifty. The catalog was put out by a company called The International Mill and Timber Co.. I finally did a bit of research and came across THIS SITE that gives some information. Their payment system was interesting--and apparently backfired on them.

Below are two scans showing the choices for the door slabs and built-ins. They may have been kit homes, but I would LOVE to have some of these in my house! (Clicking on them should enlarge them for reading, if I did it correctly.)



6 comments:

A said...

Love the pics! My sister has a Meadow Moor style buffet. They are just fabulous! A built-in buffet in a bungalow is a godsend! I don't have one in my bungalow, and there are never enough places to put all your things.

Roxanne said...

A small space PROPERLY equipped with built-ins and such is my ideal!

Packrat said...

The built-in buffet is still in my house, but it has been moved from its original spot. It is a Godsend, but it is only about a foot deep. It won't hold modern placemats and platters. There are a couple of very similar doors in my house, too.

Roxanne said...

I wonder if you could have a small matching cupboard built that would be deep enough for those oversized items? Any wall space for that?

My husband is the "king" of creating extra space, whether I need it or not. I could send him over, if you'd like.

Packrat said...

Ooooo, THANK YOU. I really wish we lived closer! There is space behind - in the coat closet. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the drawers made deeper?! I'm sure there are people around who could do "easily" do this. It is just finding the person who "would" do it and do a nice job. The joys of living in a rural area... sigh. I could really get on my soap box here, but I'll spare you all.

Packrat said...

http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/11/30/inside-the-real-home-alone-house/

Roxanne, check out the house and floor plan on the site above. Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails