Dec 30, 2009

Kitchen Envy

Below is pictured a prize-winner of a kitchen. It's from my September 1950 edition of Family Circle. Oh, I am coveting. Forgive me. (Click to enlarge pics.)


Here it is up close. Notice the TOP loading dishwasher. I don't have a bad back, but I'm definitely not 22 anymore. How awesome would it be to remain upright to do this task? I love dishwashers. I didn't grow up with one and didn't get one until I was 27, went without, and then insisted my husband put one in when we moved into this house. He took care of it the first week, bless him!

Then you have the double oven and the stovetop space to the right of the burners. Such attention to proper cooking and baking needs.

As if the above wasn't amazing enough, they put together to-die-for laundry room! Why don't we have those ironing presses anymore? Wash and wear made the need for lots of ironing decrease, but we still have the wrinkly materials. Of course, without this super-duper laundry room--where would I put one? (Personally, I think the walls need some decorating.)

Do you think it's too late to enter the contest? What shall I bake? Heck, I'd settle for winning the mixer!

10 comments:

Packrat said...

Oh, how I love the 42 inch ranges. The double ovens are wonderful - especially the small one. I had one for a few years until about 3 years ago. It caught fire (late in the afternoon Christmas Eve on a Saturday), and was going to cost a fortune to have it fixed. Luckily no damage was done to the kitchen, but I had to buy the only available stove in town. I cried, and I still don't like the stove I had to buy.

Packrat said...

PS - I should have said that I kept the old stove for several months thinking that maybe I could get it fixed...

Roxanne said...

OH--I feel your pain. On Christmas Eve, no less, to lose such a prize!

A said...

Looks fantastic! I am totally jealous too. My kitchen sure needs a redo.

Mrs Tailleur said...

Sorry Packrat, I had to laugh visions of National lampoon came into my head. Good thing it didn't get out of hand. Sorry about that.

DrJulieAnn said...

We had a portable top-loading dishwasher while I was growing up. I think my parents bought it used from someone. Anyway, it would roll around the kitchen and then we'd hook it up to the faucet when it was time to run it. If I remember correctly, we had to take the top rack out in order to fill the lower rack.

I think they fell out of favor because it was much, much harder to load those top-loading dishwashers than the modern front-loading ones.

Packrat said...

Note to Mrs. Tailleur - LOL. Nothing so dramatic at my house, but when the ancient stove in my daughter's apartment caught fire THAT was a National Lampoon moment.

Moral: Vintage stoves - even if they work - are not necessarily safe to use.

Roxanne said...

Amanda--check out the link I put up for mid-century kitchens! It's in the post after this one.

DrJulieAnn--THAT would explain why they didn't become the popular choice! Since front-loading does away with lifting a tray out, and I hate having to bend down so far to load the dishwashers we now have, maybe they could move them up the wall a little, like the ovens that are up higher.

I wonder if that would be workable?

Packrat said...

Roxanne - a few years back, most of the new kitchen displays in Sears and kitchen shops showed the diswashers raised. My problem (and probably most others) was that this took away from valuable counter top space.

Roxanne said...

Makes sense. I did notice that one of the sinks was lost in the above design to accomodate the dishwasher.

Counter space is a necessity!

Related Posts with Thumbnails