Dec 6, 2009

Liver Loaf Durkee


Weenie Elise at Ode to Mrs. Beeton has made a request for the recipe for the Liver Loaf Durkee. Since she asked, she shall receive.

Apparently, Durkee's Special Sauce (a prepared salad dressing) has been around for a LONG time. It was created in 1857, and had quite a following. It's still being made today, though I'm not sure if it is available outside of the US.

According to their website, the dressing was included in the supplies of pioneers as they travelled west. Mary even served it to her husband, Abraham. (Lincoln, that is.)

My recipe came from the April 1943 edition of Woman's Day and was considered a "hearty ration saver!" I'm planning on making it. I'm scared, but I'm also planning on tasting it.

If you decide to make it, Weenie Elise, please come back and tell me what you thought of it!

Liver Loaf Durkee (Serves 6)

1 lb. beef or pork liver
2 tbs. chopped onion
1 well-beaten egg
1/2 cup canned tomatoes
1/4 cup water
2 cups bread crumbs
2 tbs. melted fat
1/2 cup chopped, cooked celery
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs. Durkee's Dressing

Simmer liver in salted water 15 minutes. Drain, skin, grind through chopper. Combine with other ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

8 comments:

A said...

Sorry, but it makes me ill :( Don't think I'll be making it any time soon!

Roxanne said...

Amanda--I'm right there with you. I'm hoping I can actually put the fork IN my mouth...

I don't know if I have the fortitude, though. I may have to fake it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not coming for dinner.

My sisters and I have a running joke that we give company that we never want to come back, the most uncomfortable seat in the house (we all love antiques and have some really uncomfortable chairs). You could save this meal for that kind of company.... Not that you have company like that.

Trixie

Roxanne said...

You could take it one step further and just mention the name of the meal to the unwanted guests. They would suddenly have some *other engagement* they forgot about LOL!

You'd never actually have to MAKE the meal!

Packrat said...

You all are too funny, but I'm right there with you. Can't we just use ground beef instead, please? :)

I haven't thought of Durkee's dressing in ages. For those of you who have never had it, basically, Durkee's is salad dressing like Best Foods or Hellman's (kind of like mayo only with more flavor) with some prepared mustard and lemon juice added. My grandpa always made his tuna sandwiches with this instead of salad dressing or mayo. I liked it as a kid, but tried it a few years ago and didn't care for it.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--I'm sorry, but no. It's not allowed. You may NOT use ground beef.

Don't even think about it.

(Thanks for the personal experience on the salad dressing. The jury is still out on the actual liver tasting for me, but I'm up for checking out the sauce before I put it in the liver!)

weenie_elise said...

i don't think we get Durkee over here - someone suggest a substitute for me?

Roxanne said...

Weenie--Packrat HAS had it and said:

Durkee's is salad dressing like Best Foods or Hellman's (kind of like mayo only with more flavor) with some prepared mustard and lemon juice added.

I bet you could stir up some by mixing the three ingredients to taste.

To put over the liver.

(Blech.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails