Dec 4, 2009

Vintage Menus

I put my MIL on a task today of looking through my 1940s/50s Woman's Day magazines to choose five recipes for dinner. I did this because she was so thrilled when I brought out the magazines for her to peruse the other night and her first comments were about the meals!

Her recipe choices were:

  • Jellied Chicken Salad
  • Meatless Corn Fritter Sandwiches
  • Baked Stuffed Vegetables
  • Macaroni Salad and Chili Deviled Eggs
  • 2-Layer Flaked Fish Casserole

and

  • Liver Loaf Durkee

I'm game to try the others, but I'm not touching the Liver Loaf Durkee with a 10-foot pole! She did comment that she might be the only one eating that one. (Which is why there are actually SIX choices. She knew there would be an issue.)

She really enjoyed making the choices and I know we'll enjoy preparing the meals together next week. Having been born in 1938, these types of recipes were certainly familiar.

I decided to post the 2-Layer Flaked Fish Casserole. If you really, really want me to, I'll post the Liver Loaf Durkee, too. All you have to do is ask.

2-Layer Flaked Fish Casserole (Woman's Day, April 1943, p. 47--serves 4)

  • 2 cups cooked fish, flaked
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 eggs, grade B
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 T butter, melted
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup toasted fine bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese
  • Paprika

Combine fish, potatoes, 1 egg, 2 1/2 cups milk and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste and pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Beat other egg until light, add remaining half cup milk and crumbs. Pour over fish mixture; sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in moderate oven, 350 degrees, for about 1/2 hour or until set. Sprinkle with paprika before servings.

8 comments:

Packrat said...

Okay. The fish casserole and the baked stuffed vegetables (depending on what they are) don't sound too bad. I'd probably like the chili deviled eggs. The rest I think I'll pass on. Thanks anyway. ;)

Those magazines would be fun to look at, tho. Bet your MIL really did enjoy that.

Mary said...

The flaked fish casserole sounds great. I was recently given some 50's magazines.

Roxanne said...

I LOVE reading those magazines!! They are so much more focused on doing a good job of running your household. There's useful information to get the job done rather than several articles that are all about self (like today).

I don't eat seafood, but, for my son's sake (to be a good example to him), I'm going to have some of the fish casserole. AND (drum roll, please) I am going to take a bite of the liver loaf, too.

Lord, help me...

Packrat said...

Verrrrry brave woman.

weenie_elise said...

what is a durkee? post the recipe or just email it to me... sounds interesting

weenie underscore tot7068 at hotmail dot com

Roxanne said...

Weenie--Come and check out tonight's post. The recipe for the Liver Loaf Durkee is now available.

Just for you!

FarmMom said...

Just wanted you to know that I made the fish casserole for dinner last night. I used canned salmon. I only had one can but I doubled all the rest of the ingredients (to feed my big family plus 2 guests!) Everyone loved it! It looks like a keeper recipe! I also love that there is another option for using canned salmon other than fried patties and creamed salmon and peas.

Thanks for sharing!

Roxanne said...

FarmMom--That's awesome! I'm glad it was useful to you. We'll be having ours on Friday (still finishing up the menus I had already scheduled for this week).

I liked how they added the mashed potatoes. I'm looking forward to it more, now that it's gotten a good review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails