Jan 14, 2010

"Chicken Tampa" recipe

Back many, many years ago when I was a newlywed, I had to teach myself to cook.

My mom is a great cook. She enjoyed that position, of course. It was made more enjoyable by the fact that my sister and I were her "kitchen porters." Chopping and cleaning up were our duties. Learning to cook was not on the "menu." (Ha! I crack myself up.)

We got married during college--we ate in the dining hall. We lived with my MIL for a year after college--my FIL did all the cooking.

Finally, in our second year of marriage I had my first home when we moved to Panama City, FL. With that came my first responsibility as head chef. I burned everything.

One day while leafing (desperately) through a magazine, I came across a recipe called "Chicken Cutlets Tampa." I was immediately interested as I had grown up in Tampa. I skimmed the recipe and it looked do-able. I prepared it for the first time in 1987. It's been on my husband's "favorites" list ever since. Let me know if you give it a try!

(The picture above is the original photo from the article. It wasn't much to go on, but I was still inspired by it.)

Chicken Cutlets Tampa

1 1/2 cups couscous (or rice)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. oil
4 boneless, skinless breasts, flattened
1 bunch green onions
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1 orange, thinly sliced

Cook couscous in broth and 1 tbsp. butter. Melt 1 tbsp. butter and oil in skillet. Saute chicken, turning once, 5-6 minutes. Remove. cover and keep warm.

Add white part of green onions, OJ, cream and salt to skillet. Boil and deglaze for 2 minutes to reduce sauce. Add orange slices and remove from heat. Stir in green part of onions into couscous. Plate the couscous, top with chicken, orange slices, and sauce.

NOTE: I always triple the sauce--it's that good!

6 comments:

Packrat said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. It sounds delicious!

I'm sorry you had to learn to cook the hard way. :(

weenie_elise said...

sounds pretty good.

is BLSL a brand of chicken?

Roxanne said...

Packrat--Yes, the hard way. Can I still use that as an excuse for not liking to cook now? Please? No? OK, I'll let my mom off the hook LOL!

Weenie--I either did an Americanism or I just made that up myself! BLSL = boneless, skinless

I'll go back and fix it!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm mmm these sound good. I just watched Rachel Ray make some kind of chicken cutlets last night. So her's and this recipes, I'm going to find some way to serve cutlets next week even though I'm doing the Pantry challenge and do not have a cutlet in the house.

Trixie

Anonymous said...

Obviously I need grammer help. I meant between Rachel Ray's recipe and yours. : )

Roxanne said...

That's one of the challenging things I remember about Pantry Cooking: finding a particular recipe or having a craving for a certain food and you don't have it in the freezer or on the shelf!

When I did the challenge last year, I ran out of my favorites way too fast!

Related Posts with Thumbnails