Jan 5, 2010

Good Housekeeping, 1955: Dressing Up Soup

It's been a while since I posted from my "Gem of a Cookbook."

Since it's in the teens here and we've had PLENTY of snow, I'm in the mood for some soup. My GH cookbook assures me that I can make the soup from scratch (following their recipes, of course), or just open up a can.

What's fresh and different is that there is a nice list of garnishes!

"For that finishing touch, top soup with one of these:"

  • Slivered almonds
  • Crisp ready-to-eat cereal
  • Whipped cream plus horse-radish
  • Popcorn
  • Browned onion rings
  • Cut-up olives
  • Thin lemon slices
  • Salted whipped cream
  • Paper-thin carrot or radish slices
  • Thin celery rings

"If you prefer to serve at-table style, don't forget those attractive pottery bowls and individual casseroles, which can make a meal-in-a-dish soup and occasion."

I'm eyeing up a nice potato soup, myself. Or perhaps something full of beans and vegetables. Slow cooked, of course...

6 comments:

Tess said...

If you like potato soup, you NEED to try this recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Absolutely-Ultimate-Potato-Soup/Detail.aspx

It's wonderful! Creamy, rich, and delicious. When I made it, I didn't have any bacon, so I left that out, and I used 2% milk instead of heavy cream, and it was still glorious.

Packrat said...

Hi Roxanne and Tess! Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

Popcorn is wonderful on tomato soup.

Laugh at me, but when the picture of the soup started to load it was blurry. I had this sudden urge for shrimp bisque. I don't think I even like shrimp bisque. LOL

Also, every time I see the picture of the house in your header, all I think about is packing up and moving in. Do you happen to have the floor plan? Would you be willing to post it?

Roxanne said...

Tess--Thanks for the link! I could eat potato soup every day for a week! "Creamy, rich, and delicious" describes my requirements LOL!

Packrat--"Bisque" seems to follow that "creamy, rich, and delicious" pattern except that I'd leave out any and all seafood.

Here's the link for the houseplan:

http://www.midcenturyhomestyle.com/plans/national-plan/1955/55nps-e625.htm

Roxanne said...

Packrat--I forgot to mention that plan "E-610" is lightly similar (on the outside) to the house we have now. Ours was built in 1969, though.

Packrat said...

Roxanne, Thank you. If I were twenty-five years younger I'd like split level living. I do like the floor plan of of 610, though. I'd just make sure that there was laundry and a full bath on the main floor. I live in a 1-1/2 story house now will all the bedrooms upstairs. It gets more and more difficult to climb to the second floor.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--I hear you on the one floor layout. That's what we will do whenever we get to build. I'm done with stairs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails