May 16, 2010

It's going back up!

The best laid plans and all that. We made some progress in reducing the debt, and now we're pretty much back where we were a month ago. We WILL, however, be turning off all the unimportant electricity for longer than I originally planned. Instead of two days, it will be a week.

My MIL died yesterday. She came and "visited" last fall, but was insistent about returning home to Georgia. Her body gave out and she died while taking a nap on the couch in her home. I'm glad things were peaceful and quick for her. I know that we did every thing that we could to try to give her a desire to continue living. She just didn't want to.

We are now sitting in the airport waiting to fly down. My title is referring to the fact that airlines do not charge low fares for last minute flights like this. All of the costs are going to add up to a little over $2000 that we have to put on the credit card. On top of that, my husband will lose work this week. A big job came in requiring him to pre-paint shakes for a house exterior. Now the job will go to someone else meaning the loss of that income. (Tell me again why "self-employed" is better?)

BUT, while we're sad we're not yet in a position to be able to just pay cash out of a full emergency fund, we're determined not to let this cause us to lose sight of the big picture.

Needless to say, we're cancelling the trip to Woods Hole Aquarium!

Since I have my computer and I'll have hotel time over the next several days, I plan to catch up on reading blogs and writing my own posts.

I also get to enjoy a bit of southern food. I promise not to overdue, but I guarantee that the vegetable portions will diminish significantly!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolances to you and your hubby for your loss. I agree, it was merciful that it was quick.

I hope your trip goes smoothly. Its too bad that painting job can't wait until you return. Unfortunatly self employed means no paid vacation days. :(

Take Care,

Trixie

weenie_elise said...

My condolences to your family

Packrat said...

Dear, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope your travels are as free of stress as possible. Tears and prayers for you and your family. Hugs to you all.

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Oh, big hug to you, Roxanne. Even "expected," it is hard. (I always recommend a book "How to Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies" by Dr. Therese Rando).

The "bereavement" rate just makes me want to spit nails. Airlines know they have you over a barrel and charge a "discount" compared to their fullest price. Come on! When was the last time they charged their fullest price??

Anyway, again, hugs to you and keep focused on your goals. Your MIL would want you to do so.

Lorie B said...

I am so very sorry about your MIL, Roxanne. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I will also pray that the good Lord will open His coffers to allieviate the costs of this trip and the loss of work.

With love,
Lorie

Roxanne said...

Thank you all for your comforting words. I know we don't know each other IRL, but it was so nice to open my email and see them! It brought a smile to my face and I VERY much appreciate it. VERY much.

Anonymous said...

My condolances to you, Roxanne. It hurts to lose someone close.

As for debt going down and then going right back up due to an emergency -- the story of our lives!!! Mary R.

(Somebody made a mirror blog of mine and has been going around making nasty comments in my name -- this is twice now -- so I have shut down my blog and comment anonymously when I can -- usually not at all any more -- but I wanted to comment here.)

Sorry again for your loss. Hugs.

Mrs Tailleur said...

So Sorry for your loss. We will be thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry!

Roxanne said...

Mary R--Thank you for your concern. It's still like coming out of a fog. We'll think about something and then remember that she's gone. Only my mother is left of the grandparents for my son.

That stinks about someone mocking your blog!! Why??

I miss reading the articles about your growing up experiences. Could you perhaps put the info back up but make the blog invitation only? (And include me as a member--hint, hint!)

Roxanne said...

Mrs. Tailleur and Lexi--

Thank you so much. It has been so touching to have my blog friends thinking of us at a time like this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails